R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater Pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Pump
    Posted: 27 May 2017 at 6:13pm
Finally got our 177 out of hibernation today and much to my chagrin, water comes out in spurts.  Double checked the bypass valves and also the one used when I blow it out with compressed air, check.  Took water pump out and physically looked to see if anything was amiss, found nothing.  Screen on inlet side of pump was clean as a whistle.  When running I can put my thumb over the outlet and hold the little bit of pressure that is generated.  I couldn't find any hairline cracks in the 3 baffles where the pressure is generated inside the pump proper; or is there something else it could be? 

The one thing I thought odd when I turned it on was how quiet it was.  For the past 6 years I always found it kind of noisy, maybe that was an indicator of something amiss.  If I indeed need to replace pump, what would you recommend - hopefully one that is a tad quieter than the one that FR installs.  Thanks and enjoy this Memorial Day weekend, honoring our nation's veterans.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 6:45pm
In our pod the pump is a Shurflo 2088-422-144, which is a 45 psi pump, available on Amazon, but if you have yours out you don't need that info. I'd be very tempted to go with a 55 psi model if I had to replace mine.

It sounds the vanes may have no hold on the shaft. Motor working but vanes not turning. Total guess. Probably winter related. I don't like your air only method of getting water out of the lines for winter. Sorry... That may not be it, but it doesn't take much water in the pump to cause damage if it freezes.

I hope it's something else easy but a new pump is "only" about $75 - $85.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 7:15pm
Jato,

How long did you let it run? When I use air to winterize, it really surprised me how long it took pump to prime. You might try taking a jug of water and putting the antifreeze hose in it, I had some luck with that. Might also be why it's so quiet, not primed.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 8:03pm
I'll be interested to hear the answer to this.  I don't like my idea very much, but as for losing its prime, the pumps are made to run dry, which mine has done.  If they can run dry it seems like they must be self-priming, almost by definition.  Here's another dumb idea: is there water in the tank?

While you have the pump out it shouldn't be much trouble to jerry-rig a hose on the intake side into a bucket and 12 volts to the pump so that you can see what it does up close.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 8:10pm
Probably more accurate to say it doesn't prime fast. I had same problem after air winterization, why I suggested put the antifreeze line in a jug of water. I can only hope Jato has water in tank:)
Mike Carter
2015 178
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 8:41pm
Make sure the screen "jar" isn't cracked.. A common issue with air winterization is that it doesn't get emptied..
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 9:27pm
Thanks TT I will try that tomorrow afternoon.  I may be old but yes Mike, I do have 10 gallons in the tank.  Mr. Furpod, after blowing out I still unscrew the screen jar even though since doing this every year since 2012 I have never had even a trace of water left in it.  The motor works fine so it has to be something with the vanes although nothing noticeable could be seen with the naked eye and a bright light.  Thank you everyone who gave me some pointers to check out.  Will let you know after I do the TT test tomorrow afternoon as far as how that pans out.  Had a birthday celebration for one of my boys tonight, this can wait.
God's pod
'11 model 177
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 1:29pm
If needed, a new front housing can be bought on Amazon...
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 5:01pm
Well here is the deal.  Opened the 3 way valve under the sink and ran the pump, works perfect.  Also took the line off in front of the screen jar, pump works perfect.  So . . . . all I can figure out at this point is I must have a hole in the plastic line somewhere between the fw tank that has 10 gallons of water in it and the water pump.  Do you concur?  Hooked up the pump to the water line, as it was in the beginning and get a little water, and a lot of air.  At this point I am thinking a hole or crack in the plastic line.  Will search for that tomorrow after I get off work, hopefully that will be by noon or so.  Will keep you posted.
God's pod
'11 model 177
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 5:52pm
Jato, Makes sense, the hoses are very good, pretty durable, but stuff happens. On the 177 is the line under the bed and then to the pump at bottom of sink cabinet? I think you have isolated out the pump. I also have never had an issue with air purging, except last time it took 10 mins to get water out of faucet. The only thing I could figure was the line had enough air in it to slow the pump prime. Just strange. I would like to know what you find.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>