R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater Pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Pump
    Posted: 28 May 2017 at 8:17pm
Maybe you need to pressurize the holding tank..

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 8:30pm
Sounds like you've narrowed it down. Glad it's not the pump. Maybe a crack or a loose fitting.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 7:42pm
Not sure how to pressurize the holding tank, with the vent by the filling hole, might be a bit of a challenge. BUT anyway it was decided to fill the tank to full by adding the other 20 gallons.  Hooked up the water pump and ran it for probably another 20 seconds while it continued to sputter air and spurt water.  Then all of a sudden a steady stream of water came out of the cold side which I was running at the kitchen sink, switched it over to the hot side to purge out all the air, then to the shower sink and finally to the water closet.  Now I am really confusedConfused.  It didn't work with 10 gallons in the tank but did with 30 so now I drain out most of the water till I have 3 - 4 gallons left.  Repeated the same scenario as above, pump works flawlessly!  Hmmm.  An air bubble or what, I don't know but at least it now works.  Don't you hate it when you "fix" something, but don't know how or what you did to arrive at that result?  The hardest part was putting the water pump back in its original position, I managed to ruin a great watch, pulled the stem out and couldn't find it, and also had my patience tested, took the better part of 30 minutes to secure the pump back down in place.  One positive, it sure runs a lot quieter than it used to, again, don't know why but it does.  After a couple of hours, conjutating on all this, decided to run it again for another 10 minutes until the tank was dry and then added some additional water to make sure this wasn't a fluke; it wasn't.  Still runs !  So I conclude by thanking you all for the wisdom shared.  That is what makes this a great forum!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 8:55pm
Hmmmm.  Interesting.  Probably some sort of air lock, which I'd think a self-priming pump should be able to deal with.  Yeah, might have been worth a busted watch if you found the problem and understood how you fixed through your efforts and ingenuity.  Really frustrating when you go through all that and don't come out any better or wiser than when you started.  It does work now though!

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 1:11am
Jato, Good. All sounds familiar to me, still have no idea why.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 7:46am
Originally posted by jato

Not sure how to pressurize the holding tank, with the vent by the filling hole, might be a bit of a challenge. BUT anyway it was decided to fill the tank to full by adding the other 20 gallons.  Hooked up the water pump and ran it for probably another 20 seconds while it continued to sputter air and spurt water.  Then all of a sudden a steady stream of water came out of the cold side which I was running at the kitchen sink, switched it over to the hot side to purge out all the air, then to the shower sink and finally to the water closet.  Now I am really confusedConfused.  It didn't work with 10 gallons in the tank but did with 30 so now I drain out most of the water till I have 3 - 4 gallons left.  Repeated the same scenario as above, pump works flawlessly!  Hmmm.  An air bubble or what, I don't know but at least it now works.  Don't you hate it when you "fix" something, but don't know how or what you did to arrive at that result?  The hardest part was putting the water pump back in its original position, I managed to ruin a great watch, pulled the stem out and couldn't find it, and also had my patience tested, took the better part of 30 minutes to secure the pump back down in place.  One positive, it sure runs a lot quieter than it used to, again, don't know why but it does.  After a couple of hours, conjutating on all this, decided to run it again for another 10 minutes until the tank was dry and then added some additional water to make sure this wasn't a fluke; it wasn't.  Still runs !  So I conclude by thanking you all for the wisdom shared.  That is what makes this a great forum!

I so wanted you to ask how... LOL

Had a whole procedure with 72 steps and needing 5 hands to do it worked out.. Tongue
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 10:54am
I concur with TT; I think you had some air in the line, and you just hadn't purged it all yet. Glad you got it "fixed"... Confused

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 6:13pm
I think that having more water in the tank (e.g. full) makes it easier for the pump to pick up prime since it does not have to lift the water as much. I'll get a chance to verify this when we pick up our 'Pod next month.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 7:08pm
SH,

I never had this issue until I winterized with air. I had the same issue as Jato, the self priming pump is not a "rapid" self priming pump. The only thing I did to assist was siphon some water thru the antifreeze add line with the pump, that seemed to speed it up. I never had a full FW tank. It just took time for pump to get water. Debatable, but air winterization leaves no water in lines and antifreeze winterization has liquid. Last year when I did antifreeze never had issue. Agree best to try on your own when you get Pod back. Interesting.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 7:08pm
Interesting in that except for the first year I owned this pod I have always used air to winterize my 177. Since 2012 that has been the standard and this is the first time this ever happened.  So while I am glad everything works well I am discouraged in that during this process I didn't gain the understanding of what exactly I did or didn't do that caused the problem and/or the cure.  Life and experiences go on. . . 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>