R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFridge etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fridge etiquette
    Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by furpod

Originally posted by Danielw1

All very good to know! Sounds like propane is probably the way to go. I am going to bring an extra tank if I get low, thought about adding one to tounge but seems just is easy to swap if one runs low. I am towing with a 2015 3.5 eco boost

If just running the fridge, 24/7.. it takes about 5-6 weeks to empty a tank..

Wow! Thats good to know. Thanks
Caliman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:58pm
Does anyone know if there is any issue with leaving your RPOD plugged in to AC during storage, and running the fridge on 120v with the cover on? I know that would be bad with propane.
Todd
2002 Dodge Durango 4x4 4.7 V8, BF Goodrich KO2's.
RPOD 179 with every option. RDOME
Permanent vacation!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 7:47am
Originally posted by Caliman

Does anyone know if there is any issue with leaving your RPOD plugged in to AC during storage, and running the fridge on 120v with the cover on? I know that would be bad with propane.

I would not run the fridge while covered. No matter the source, the fridge cools by creating heat, it needs to be able to vent and breath to allow it to cool.

Being plugged in is a nonissue. Our pod was plugged in at hole it's whole life.. Lance is now. Most owners who can store at home keep plugged in.
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 10:19am
Propane when towing, always.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 10:25am
I know a lot of people use propane while traveling, but in my mind, there is no good reason to have a flame going while you're traveling down the road. You pull into a gas station, and they are posted "No Smoking" for a reason; there are gas fumes. I'm just not going there.

Our TV has plenty of capacity, and safety interlocks to prevent damage to the battery. It shuts off power to the trailer after 30 seconds or so (after turning the vehicle off). So I will use battery while traveling, and then I will have peace of mind.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Caliman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 10:52am
Even my 2002 Dodge Durango factory tow package came with an oversized alternator for charging, and an oversized battery. If your truck has these things, and a 7pin connector, you're probably good for running the fridge off battery. Pay attention to your battery gauge regardless, truck and trailer. I'm not worried about running propane on the road, but I may forget to turn off the fridge getting gas. I also carry a jumpstarter/power source and even a generator if I ever screw up. Dead batteries wouldn't be fun and obviously not good for em. I think it's a million to one, but a fire at the gas station would certainly be a problem.
Todd
Permanent vacation!
Caliman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 10:55am
Running the battery off 12v on the road only to be specific.
Todd
Permanent vacation!
Caliman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 10:59am
Thank you! I ran it for a day on AC and found the temperature fluctuation, then I throught about the vent..ran fine when I pulled th cover up. Hey, I put 2+2 together, can you believe it? Nice to get the info from someone here, I was only guessing. Cheers!
Todd
Permanent vacation!
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Caliman

Even my 2002 Dodge Durango factory tow package came with an oversized alternator for charging, and an oversized battery. If your truck has these things, and a 7pin connector, you're probably good for running the fridge off battery. Pay attention to your battery gauge regardless, truck and trailer. I'm not worried about running propane on the road, but I may forget to turn off the fridge getting gas. I also carry a jumpstarter/power source and even a generator if I ever screw up. Dead batteries wouldn't be fun and obviously not good for em. I think it's a million to one, but a fire at the gas station would certainly be a problem.

I guarantee you that even though your alternator and battery are upsized, the wire running from them to your charge circuit on the 7 pin connector is of inadequate size to run the fridge and keep the pod battery charged...
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
Caliman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 1:39pm
Hi HayDuke. Well, no problems yet, but we've only made 2 hour trips so far. I do have 2, 6 volt deep cycle batteries so maybe they're masking the fact that they're being drained gradually as we go down the road. I don't mind using propane at all, battery on the road just seemed more convenient. Propane is actually pretty damn safe, I worked with it for years.
Thanks for the input. Appreciated.
Todd
Permanent vacation!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>