R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFridge etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fridge etiquette
    Posted: 23 May 2017 at 11:47pm
How are you guys keeping fridge cold while traveling? I was wondering about running on battery while towing then switching to propane when i get to camp site, i am a little worried with propane on while traveling.. also wondering about the flame going out with wind and towing. Will the tv keep batteries up while towing with fridge on or is it too much? Also thinking of doing it like I do with coolers. Get food cold and put frozen jugs/water bottles in, I have kept Coleman coolers cold for four+ days like that.
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 5:31am
If you have your tv set up with proper wiring and fuses you can run your fridge on battery while towing. I always run on battery while towing then switch to electric when getting to the camp site (if your on an electric site.)
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Danielw1

How are you guys keeping fridge cold while traveling? I was wondering about running on battery while towing then switching to propane when i get to camp site, i am a little worried with propane on while traveling.. also wondering about the flame going out with wind and towing. Will the tv keep batteries up while towing with fridge on or is it too much? Also thinking of doing it like I do with coolers. Get food cold and put frozen jugs/water bottles in, I have kept Coleman coolers cold for four+ days like that.

The tv may or may not keep the batteries charged, and the fridge cooling. Not all are wired to do so. If you tell us what you are towing with we may already know, otherwise, you will have to check for yourself.

You can run on propane while traveling, won't hurt a thing. All those larger RV's you pass, or that pass you, they don't have a 12v option. So, unless you see a 200 mile extension cord coming out the back, you can assume they like warm beer and spoiled food.. OR, they are running on propane.

A) The roads are not littered with burned out RV hulks..
B) The RVIA data says the number 1 cause of RV fires is 12v malfunctions.
C) The few tunnels and ferries where it's an issue are clearly marked.
D) The "wisdom" says to turn it off when refueling.. even though most times the car on the other side of the pump is twice as close to you as the fridge, with it's engine running, the owner on the phone. etc.

Here in a couple posts, there will be name calling and slander.. ignore it, make up your own mind based on facts.. not some rube on youtube or an ancient forum.. or even my opinion.

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 8:01am
I run on propane all the time unless I have shore power.  Someday I might get around to beefing up the TV wiring to get enough juice to the trailer to run the fridge on 12v, but there's really no good reason to bother.  Aside from the safety non-issue, the other thing you have to be concerned with when running the fridge on 12v is either remembering to switch to propane when you stop for a while or coming back to a rundown battery in the TV or on the pod, or both, and/or a warm fridge and spoiled food. 

For whatever reason, there is no issue with wind blowing out the flame while traveling with the fridge on propane.

As Furpod said though, make up your own mind.  There are people who just can't get comfortable having the propane on while on the road.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Danielw1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 9:28am
All very good to know! Sounds like propane is probably the way to go. I am going to bring an extra tank if I get low, thought about adding one to tounge but seems just is easy to swap if one runs low. I am towing with a 2015 3.5 eco boost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Danielw1

All very good to know! Sounds like propane is probably the way to go. I am going to bring an extra tank if I get low, thought about adding one to tounge but seems just is easy to swap if one runs low. I am towing with a 2015 3.5 eco boost

If just running the fridge, 24/7.. it takes about 5-6 weeks to empty a tank..
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 12:38pm
We started out running on 12V, but we now run propane while traveling. If the campground has electric, then we switch to electric at that time to conserve propane. Propane is actually the most efficient of the three power sources.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by TheBum

We started out running on 12V, but we now run propane while traveling. If the campground has electric, then we switch to electric at that time to conserve propane. Propane is actually the most efficient of the three power sources.

About the only reason to switch to 120v is because you're already paying for it.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 8:35pm
Agree with you TT!   The only time we use electric for our fridge is when we pay for it, otherwise we use propane the other 95% of the time and 100% of the time when we travel
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
rda54 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 9:45pm
We run on propane when we travel. We did a 24 day trip and plugged in at the camp ground. Never used the one tank of propane. We put on over 4000 miles.
Ronald & Lonna
2014 178
2016 Chevy 1500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>