Topic ClosedNew member with new Pod - Event Date: 23 May 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: New member with new Pod
    Posted: 27 May 2017 at 10:07am
"I suppose if I had purchase a used trailer it would have been expected to have problems"

I am a fan of buying used. Not to mention the cost reduction, I have also found someone else endured the warranty issues which means I'm not moving the Pod to the nearest RV center. Granted I do the maintenance, but I'm retired and it keeps me busy. I bought a new truck in 2016, and have had it in for 8 recalls, had I bought a used 2015 the recalls would have been done. I will add buying used does entail looking closely at what you are buying. Just a consideration.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 1:01pm
Congratulations on your new POD!! Happy trails!
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 9:05am
From all the posts I've seen on this board about the woes of new pod purchases, I'm glad I bought a uses one, that's had the bugs worked out.  A well cared for used pod can be a great deal.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
refotsirk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 5:16pm
We are new to Rpod and this site too.   We just sold our 27 year old 16 foot Scamp Deluxe and it sold in 20 minutes of being on line.  Rpod was so recommended and we did our homework.  The wood interior of the Scamp felt like a small sailboat inside. 

We now have a 2018 Rpod 179.    What a difference.   It had been on the lot for a week of pretty wet weather, so when the guy pulled in the dinette area....water actually came in and onto the floor. He said it was normal as there was some on the roof of the extension.  I rather freaked out, assuming the rubber squeegee like thing would take care of that.  The guy said to tilt the trailer prior to pulling in the dinette. Anyone else experience this? I guess we might need a ladder too, just to keep the side slider debris- 
proof and inspected?    Other than the "new car" smell which will fade away...  We are very excited. 

Just like our old Scamp, we do not hook up to RV campgrounds. We camp off the grid 99.9% of the time. I am rather sad that keeping rain from coming in an open screen window isn't part of the scheme.  I mean, on a warm muggy night....no AC running....and a low to moderate rain, it would be nice to have some circulation.  I guess I was naive to think there would be a "Fantastic Fan" which could pull and push air when needed.  The exit air fan in shower area will have to do it's thing. We will install a cover so exit fan can run in rain. 
 I wonder if some sort of
flared , hood like plastic could be glued or taped over top of screen windows to allow for adequate air movement in a rain event. The old "trailer louver " windows did that I guess. This beast is too new for me to do my magic with duct tape.  But I could see a benefit to a visor like rain deflector for screen. 
Anyway...we haven't camped in it yet, but are excited to very soon.   I am thinking we just may have to install anti sway mechanism at some point.  It does seem to sway a bit with big trucks near by on freeway traffic. Shocked

Overall.....what a piece of work!   More as we go on I bet. The pod honeymoon begins. Smile
Off the grid in the 179.  Thanks for being here.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 6:14pm
Yes, I have had that happen, it wasn't a lot of water but noticeable. You need a small ladder if nothing else but to clear debris from slide out roof and wipe water off before you bring it in.

I have good experience with fantastic fan (exhaust fan). I do have a cover so I can use it in the rain. I also have a small electric fan I set up on the floor beneath dinette to move air. Not good for boon docking.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
adventurelust View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 10:03pm
   So today I put my carpentry skills to work and resolved most of the issues, including the table fitting when lowered into a bed. I even managed to capture about four cubic feet of additional storage by relocating a partition on the forward bench seat structure. ( I can see my outside carpet fitting in there nicely) the only issue for the factory is the fractured fiberglass around the garage door handle.  

Can't wait to do my first trip with the 182G. It will be a local excursion so I can work any bugs out before the real reason I purchased my POD. (The total eclipse of 2017 August 21st) I want a front row seat...Smile

Now I'm on the hunt for a used R-Dome. If anyone is selling their POD and have an R-Dome they want to sell separately, then please contact me.  

Jim 
refotsirk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 12:53pm
That is good to know the water issue is a rather normal thing.
I went out into the Pod yesterday during a heavy rain /hail event and was happy to see no water inside. I feel confidant about our purchase, but feel a tad nervous about all the weather  seal areas.  Window
ventilation being most.   Did your Fantastic Fan come with your purchase?  Mine is just a 4 speed exhaust fan.    Thanks for the input.
OurPodRod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:32pm
We think the quality is really good too and just got ours a few weeks ago.  Do you know what, if any changes there were on the 2018?

Happy Camping!
Zimms
2018 178 R Pod
TV 2016 Chevy Colorado
VermontPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:58pm
Well the things I noticed were changed in 2018 is a King antenna instead of the old wing style, 15inch class D tires, a Maxfan exhaust vent with new built in mounting tabs new style shades. The big thing was the heavier cushions on the extensions of the dinette area. Ours is much more heavier foam than the 2017 models were looked at. I think these are now usable and will last for several years.

Also we just took our maiden trip and everything was great, Got a chance to try everything out, and the biggest change we want to make is to remove the dining table. I just seems to be too big for a real table and since we would not expect using the dining area as additional bed I think we will opt for a smaller table.
2018 Model 179
OurPodRod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 12:05pm
Interesting.  Our cushions seem really light so I can't imagine what they were like before, and in fact, one of them won't stay up because the fitting isn't tight enough on the frame so I plan to use some velcro. 

Thanks for the information about the 2018 changes.
Zimms
2018 178 R Pod
TV 2016 Chevy Colorado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>