FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew member with new Pod - Event Date: 23 May 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: New member with new Pod
    Posted: 23 May 2017 at 9:02pm
Hello all,

I just joined but have been reading and using all of your advice to help us make our decision on a new R-Pod. We ordered a new 2018 model 179 and just received it last Thursday. It followed me home so we adopted it. And yes I included a WDH and my 2014 Silverado 4x4 has no trouble pulling it around.

I used the nice weekend here in Vermont to go through everything, ensuring plumbing was leak proof and the drain connections were tight with no leaks. I crawled over every inch, and under to ensure there were no concerns which could cause us an issue from the start.My final summary is FR has stepped up with the quality on this new model. Many of the older mods were incorporated into this new model, including 15" wheels with class D tires. My only changes were adding a few zip ties under the camper to keep some wires tied together. They would have probably been fine but I am super conscious about loose wires. I would give the overall score for quality on our camper an A+. 

There are of course mods I am performing myself before our first trip. My wife bought a 10" memory foam mattress, Scotch guarded the cushions and started decorating it making it her new home away from home. I have installed a EMS-HW30C electrical management system, bought Rhino sewer hoses, fresh water will go through a dual filtration system, cut up rubber horse stall mat for stabilizing pads and leveling our camper.

We are not new to camping, as our earlier camper was a 36ft sailboat on Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. We sold it, took a few years to help children through college and now will not be limited to the shores of the lake to go camping.

We have several weekends already reserved and now planning our two week adventure in August to travel out to Colorado. More trips in sight but no plans on those yet.

We have not selected a name for our Pod selected yet, but I'm sure our first couple of adventures will help form a name. How does everyone christen a R-Pod? Boats we smashed a bottle of Champagne on the bow on our maiden voyage.

So thank you to all of your contributions to help my wife and I start out the right way. And like everyone else I have a list of mods planned to customize our Pod so pictures will be coming soon.

2018 Model 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 9:54pm
From a former owner of an Ericson 38 and a Newport 30 II, welcome.  Just like a sailboat, you'll have an endless supply of projects from your new jealous mistress.  It's a good thing your wife is keeping her in line and in her place. 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 9:21am
You might want to consider an Anderson leveler.  I got one to use with our 179 and it is sooooo much easier that those plastic block things.
Enjoy Life!!
gncourtney View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:22am
How long did you have to wait to receive your R-pod after you ordered it?  We ordered our 182-G about 4 weeks ago and are still waiting.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 12:09pm
Welcome to the group!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
VermontPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 8:49pm
We started looking after April 18th as we had to pay Uncle Sam this year. So we started to seriously discuss with the dealer April 29th and put money down that Saturday. At that time they had just ordered 3 of the 179s and one with the Stone interior my wife wanted. They expected to receive them the first week of May and wanted 2 weeks to prep before they would deliver.

The dealer we bought it from has regular shipments of 3 or 6 units every 2 weeks. We had been watching the high discounted dealers prices and anticipated we would have to wait to pick one up. We drug it home on the 18th - so overall it was about 4 weeks. We could have picked it up earlier but we had other personal family issues that kept us away until the week we chose.

2018 Model 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 7:24pm
Congratulations and welcome! We have enjoyed our 179. I hope you make many fine memories with yours. We stayed at Emerald Lake last year in Vermont on our way to the Calef House in Washington for a church mission trip. We really enjoyed that park, even though it did not have any hookups. It was our first experience with boondocking. Emerald Lake is a beautiful place.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
adventurelust View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 9:33pm
I picked up my new 2017 182G yesterday, but I think my expectations may have been too great.  I had read so much about the quality of the R-Pods and it gave me confidence in my purchase. I'm hoping I won't be disappointed in the long run. 

First thing I noticed when I did a pre-purchase inspection was the hard case propane cover was replaced with a soft cover.  The dealer said that is a factory change, but I showed him the feature list on the brochure and it clearly stated a hard cover on the propane tank. The dealer then capitulated and agreed to drop ship a hard cover. Next was the end cap for the waste water drain hose, which was handed to me for me to install. I expected a walk thru with someone to show me the features, but that didn't happen either.  

Now these are minor issues and did not prevent me from completing the sale, but it showed a lack  of customer care by the dealer, which I won't mention the name. 

The following morning I started to go through the trailer to learn how things worked.  When I lowered the table I noticed that it didn't set level on the supports.  It occurred to me that one side of the table was sitting on the structure of the bench, but it was snugly against the bench structure on the opposite side and resting on the support. The bench seats were too close together and wasn't allowing the table to sit properly on the supports. Also the plywood seat support on the forward bench was not cut straight, so it was also sitting on the bench structure instead of within the structure of the seat.  Both of these issues were clearly a quality control issue because they were installed at the factory. 

One of the window valence covers were hanging off the wall as if it was not completely installed.  I pulled on it and the screws just fell out.  Same thing happened to the collapsible clothes hanger. 

One of the handles on the rear hatch had surface cracks in the fiberglass around the handle. It looks like it was stressed,or perhaps damaged by being hit by something. 

The drain plug on the fresh water tank is leaking. This is minor and I can take care of it, but again it shows a lack of customer care on the dealers part. 

The kitchen counter has a nick on the side of it. I can live with this, but I just brings back the customer care issue. 

Now, you might be saying to yourself that this guy is a naysayer, but I have to tell you that I'm generally pretty easy going and optimistic about things.  I suppose if I had purchase a used trailer it would have been expected to have problems, but I researched the R-Pod before I purchased it and felt really good about it, even to the point that I passed over a Winnebago Drop, which was less expensive.  
I'm just hoping the dealer, or the factory will stand by this product and make it right. I sent the dealer an email with pictures today. If I don't get a positive response, you might be seeing a 182G at a bargain price on this webpage. 

Jim 

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 9:49pm
Please do post a review of the dealer (by name) in the appropriate topic area. There are others who will want to avoid a "dealer" with this attitude. Please communicate your experience directly to Forest River also. They may appreciate knowing that this "dealer" is representing them badly.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 9:51am
Sorry to hear about your experience. Ours was much different. Our dealer prepped our pod, gave us a "tour" that took a bit over an hour while they explained all the various features and systems, including setting up the WD hitch. We've found no fit/finish issues, and we love our pod.

After a couple of tows, we noticed that the coupler in the hitch had some looseness. We called our dealer, and he told us about a maintenance issue that we had overlooked (and how to take care of it easily). The service manager even gave us his personal cell phone number in case we ever had questions.

Overall, it's been very pleasant.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>