R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedModel Year Changeovers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model Year Changeovers
    Posted: 23 May 2017 at 4:25pm
I am in the beginning process of selecting then purchasing a  178 and I see alot of 2017s and was wondering when the 2018s start showing up on the dealership lots??  I also note that other manufacturers have a beginning model year release (2018) and then a mid year release (2018 1/2) and was wondering the approximate dates this occurs for the R-pods??  Any major changes announced for the 2018s??

Thanks in advance
Danielw1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 8:04pm
I bought a used 2015 178 and couldn't really tell any difference between that and the new one (17) that would have been 6-7k more. Oh I guess the new ones have inset stove.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 7:10am
2018s are already on the lots, and there are no changes to them.  "IF" any changes occur they'll be seen later this year.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Danielw1

I bought a used 2015 178 and couldn't really tell any difference between that and the new one (17) that would have been 6-7k more. Oh I guess the new ones have inset stove.

...and unidirectional (aim-able) antennas.
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 4:21pm
The midwest RPODS are manufactured Jan/Feb, May/June and Sep/Oct.  Changes can occur during any of these production runs.  Only the changes requiring orders are announced in advance (i.e., electric tongue jack, awning, etc.  Other changes just happen (ie., color changes, putting window in door, etc).  Do not know about the Hood River Editions produced out west except the color change to blue occurred there first.  If you search my posts you can read about how FR does not officially recognize model years, but the dealers do.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
Funky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Richand Cindy

The midwest RPODS are manufactured Jan/Feb, May/June and Sep/Oct.  Changes can occur during any of these production runs.  Only the changes requiring orders are announced in advance (i.e., electric tongue jack, awning, etc.  Other changes just happen (ie., color changes, putting window in door, etc).  Do not know about the Hood River Editions produced out west except the color change to blue occurred there first.  If you search my posts you can read about how FR does not officially recognize model years, but the dealers do.

On Forrest River's website, the owners manuals for their trailers are categorized by model year. Also, on Forrest River's YouTube channel, they refer to a 2017/2018 r pod. So, at least, there is some limited recognition of model years on Forest River's part. How us owners are supposed to know which model year applies to our trailers, I don't know for sure (i.e. Do we go by what it says on our title, or not?). And, I'm also not sure to which version/year of the owners manuals are we to refer.
Funky
2017 R pod 180
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 7:03am
Be very careful.  This is what threw us.  Forest River lists their manuals by years.  Not model year.  There is a difference.  The manuals are very generic and FR even says changes are made at any time.  Titles do not help since they are filled out by the dealers.  One dealer may title a Oct 2016 manufactured RPOD as a 2016 and another as a 2017.  I have not seen a Forest River document that specifically states a model year. It should be on the invoice but it is not. What model year is a Green RPOD 180 that has a round shower as opposed to the three sided shower?  What model year is the blue RPOD with the blue roof compared to the blue RPOD with the grey roof?  Bottom line.  Unlike cars you are not buying a 2017 RPOD,  because your 2017 can be different from mine.  You are buying an RPOD manufactured on xxx date.  Hopefully knowing this and seeing what people post about their newly purchased RPODS we can see what the changes are with each manufacturing run.  It can be as subtle as adding a dual USB port.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 8:15am
R-Pod model years begin each Spring.  The 2018s are on lots now.  Big changes and updates occur in just before 4th quarter before the Forest River open house event and the following RVIA premier shows.

Revision changes of small things do in fact happen somewhat randomly as we just saw with the change to 15" tires from Goshen produced Pods during a December production run.

The 8th letter from the right of your Vin number designates your model year.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 9:54am
Originally posted by kymooses

R-Pod model years begin each Spring.  The 2018s are on lots now.  Big changes and updates occur in just before 4th quarter before the Forest River open house event and the following RVIA premier shows.

Revision changes of small things do in fact happen somewhat randomly as we just saw with the change to 15" tires from Goshen produced Pods during a December production run.

So on our R-pod, that letter is "H". Starting from the beginning of the alphabet, that is the 8th letter. Does that make it an 8? It's listed on our pink slip as a 2017, but we purchased it in July of 2016, and it's green, which is not the so-called 2017 color.

I need a decoder ring or something. Confused
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 9:59am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

Originally posted by kymooses

So on our R-pod, that letter is "H". Starting from the beginning of the alphabet, that is the 8th letter. Does that make it an 8? It's listed on our pink slip as a 2017, but we purchased it in July of 2016, and it's green, which is not the so-called 2017 color.

I need a decoder ring or something. Confused

In the long run, the title tells you the model year, it's taken from the "origination certificate" provided by the manufacturer. Many years have 2 color schemes.

In fact, kymooses and ourselves both had 2011 models, they bought theirs first from the same dealer we did.. ours was rings (the best color ever) and theirs is the second scheme..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>