R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Have You Done Any Mods?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 52>
Poll Question: Have you done any mods to your R-Pod?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
683 [81.41%]
10 [1.19%]
134 [15.97%]
10 [1.19%]
2 [0.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Plantguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have You Done Any Mods?
    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 11:50am
2014 179
1. Made cutting board/work area over burners.
2. Installed 12v USB iPhone charger in cab side by entry door.
3. Installed a second battery.
4. Installed dimmable LED light fixture over bed. Added reading lights on bed wall, battery type with tape.
5. Added 2" memory foam over mattress.
6. Used command strips for key holder, pot holders, towels and small trash container.
7. Replaced kitchen faucet and sink. Teed off with pec water line and shark pec fittings in preparation for running outside water lines to right of spare tire.
8. Purchased Costco storage containers (the black and yellow ones) to hold :
BBQ stuff
Spare clothing and sheets/blankets
Awning and hammock
Dump lines and, gloves and misc.
Food, containers and extra cooking supplies.
All these containers fit into my camper shell along with folding chairs, small ladder etc. This keeps the rPod lighter and more organized.
9. Purchased a Honda generator.
Future:
1. Solar panel
2. Converter for 110 v TV
3. Battery shut off switch.
4. Curtains to replace blinds.

Life is too important to be taken seriously!i
Dirt Road Warrior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dirt Road Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 2:53pm
Replaced mattress immediately
12 V outlet above television for an inverter to run the TV and charge i-stuff
Various stick on hooks
Second battery
Generac inverter/generator
Planning to make the kitchen drawers longer and add a shelf in the upper cabinet and one in the bathroom

Dirt Road Warrior
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited or
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2017 Rpod 179 Hood River
Capt Kidd View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 6:18pm
I just got thru upgrading the television in my 179 to a 24" Samsung smart TV.  The way I got it to fit is I took the old TV down and unscrewed the plate that held it to the wall.  Then I fabricated a new plate for the wall.  What I did was to use some metal stock that was the same thickness and made a new plate that was twice as long and then bolted the old plate to the new one and screwed it back into the same holes.

Now my 24" TV still swings back to the wall as before it just sticks out 4 inches when it is swung all the way out.
The Pirate's Pod
Leo B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 6:51pm
Do you have a photo of the new plate with all attached?
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Capt Kidd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 10:55am
not yet but I'll will get one
The Pirate's Pod
ribet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ribet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 12:38am
I changed the doors over the sink to open up and installed a support to hold them open.  I moved the radio up to use the old radio hole as a open storage hole and put a small fence to keep things from sliding out. This is where we store our caned goods.  As for the sliding drawers in the kitchen, I removed the stops on the two upper ones and added a wooden box on the back of them for added storage.  The drawers do not need a stop as the sliders have there own stop built in.  I removed the side of the kitchen seat near the entry door and made it into a door that opens towards the entry so I could stand inside and while the door is open slide a long clear plastic box out.  This is my allotted space for my clothes and personals. The lid for this long plastic box is on the floor two allow it to slide out over the lip on the floor.  I use a sheet rock knife to cut through the thin wood paneling to make the openings.  NO SAW DUST! 
ribet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ribet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 1:06am
I made a rack for the back of the Pod, full across and 24 inches deep,  Rain gutter square down spout fits inside the frame for side support.  I cut straight grain 2x4 down to fit inside the down spout before stuffing them 24 inches inside the frame.  Removed the screws for the levelers before inserting the supports and then reinstalled the screws to hold the supports inside.  I extended the spare tire holder to   support the middle of my rack.  Cut off the tire bracket and welded a 2 inch receiver vertical on top of the tire rack after pounding it down over the square tube about 1 1/2.  Thus my Allen 4 bike rack slides in the 2 inch receiver after removing the part that needed for car use.  When we camp and want to take the bikes on a day trip, I install the lower part (that I removed to use it on the trailer) on my tow vehicle, attach the bike rack as intended by manufacture and off we go.

ribet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ribet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 1:15am
Now for the best thing that I have done for added safety is the back up camera that is mounted on the metal rack on the back of the Pod by a magnet.  I plug it into a pig tail that I tied into the tail light on the left side.  I always tow with my park lights on for added safety.  A 4 inch wireless color screen is plugged into my lighter socket and turns on when it senses the camera when I turn on the park lights. Thus I see everything that is in back and to side of me while towing my Pod.  I drove my Sportster for years with the same setup.  I could see oncoming traffic behind and to the side.  
kansasfrogs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote kansasfrogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 2:38pm
Has anyone experienced trouble with the bottom bunk in the 182G?  I had to add reinforcement to the brace boards. The ones just screwed into the wall without any additional support pulled out!  I'm waiting to see if the top bunk falls in! (I'm barely 110#so don't go there!)Tongue  While I was cutting boards I put a few under the dinette storage areas too!  I'm not talented enough for any other modifications!
FROGGY
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 10:54am
Latest mods:
Battery lock-down v2
Sewer hose holder from 5"x5" post
Locking ladder holder from 5"x5" post moved from previous location in basement storage.

Pictures available at the link below in my signature.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 52>