R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Have You Done Any Mods?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 52>
Poll Question: Have you done any mods to your R-Pod?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
683 [81.41%]
10 [1.19%]
134 [15.97%]
10 [1.19%]
2 [0.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Patriot Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have You Done Any Mods?
    Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 5:53am
I would be interested in hearing more about lift kits myself.
Thank You
Dave & Joyce
Never Forget, In God We Trust; This Our National Motto.
Member; Patriot Guard Riders, Michigan Chapter
Retired; So Every Day is Saturday.... Except Sunday
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PilotPodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 6:44pm
RoyToy,

I towed my 2016 171 (recently sold) with a 2014 Honda Pilot with an Equalizer weight distributing hitch (similar to your set up) for the 2016 season (2,200 miles). Also, the RPod 171 did not have the axle risers that some of the RPods came with (so it rode low). Basically, I was told not to try and put the axle risers on after market (although some do it to help with this very issue). 

The basic problem is that the hitch receiver on the Pilot is at 19" off the ground vs 17.5" on most trucks. So you are starting higher. To compensate, you have to use the extended shank with the E2 or Equalizer to get the trailer level. There were three to choose from. I choose the middle length and had the hitch adjusted to the lowest rung to avoid what it sounds like you are dealing with. If I used the longest shank, I could level the trailer, but the shank would ride too low to the ground. So I choose the middle length, meaning the trailer rode up slightly in tow. I compensated by towing with a full fresh water tank (which is in front of the axle on the 171). I now have a 179 (and a Toyota Tundra) so I know the fresh water tank is also in front of the axle on the 179. The problem with this solution is more tongue weight on the Honda with the 179 vs my 171 if you go this route. I'd be a bit concerned with extra tongue weight on the Honda, quite honestly. 

I have to say that I love the Honda Pilot as a vehicle, but not as a tow vehicle. I gave it a C to C- when towing. When I upgraded TVs, I decided to future proof my towing and just bit the bullet and bought a good truck. However, I think if this isn't an option, you either have to do what I did using the middle length shank or try to get the axle risers or deal with a very long shank while towing. It's a tough one, but for Honda, towing is an after thought. Sorry for the reality. If you change the shank, your dealer may be willing to give you credit for the shank, mine did when I did an exchange. 

Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
RoyToy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoyToy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 8:13pm
Pilotpodder,
Thanks for the information and the dose of reality. You are correct about the pilot, but we are a Honda family and have been for many years. We purposely chose a trailer we could tow with the pilot since it is the only tow vehicle we have.

We will continue to reach out about lift kits and see what information we can find. I say this because the 179 sits low to the ground and the plumbing and jacks have low clearance as well so a lift kit might benefit all the way around.

Can you expand on why after market axle risers were not advised? Will be heading to the west side of Michigan this weekend and will see how it tows. Another option we are considering is to just use sway control and not the WDH. Any thoughts on that?

Again thanks for your input.
Roytoy-Lapeer Michigan 
RoyToy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoyToy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 7:53pm
We are looking for advice on the hitch set up of our 2011 Honda Pilot and our (new!) 2015 RPod 179. We have a Fast Way E2 hitch, which was installed earlier this week. As you can see in the photos below, the hitch apparatus has low ground clearance. Pilotpodder pointed out that the hitch receiver on the pilot is 19 inches high (off the ground), which is higher than many trucks. Also the RPod rides low. Combined this means that we a ground clearance problem and we are concerned. We are considering axle risers but have heard many pros and cons. We are looking for information and ideas from people who have used axle risers and people who have found other solutions. We're open to ideas and new to the RPod world. Thanks!

hitch measurement

hitch mechanism

long distance view of hitch

close up picture of hitch 

PilotPodder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PilotPodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 8:16pm
RoyToy,
Your pictures show exactly what I was dealing with on my Pilot and my 2016 171, which also rode low to the ground like yours does. The only real solution is to get the axle risers or a 2017 or newer Rpod. Forest River added 15" tires and a higher clearance to the 2017s. This is one of the reasons I decided to upgrade to the 2017 179. I was able to sell my 171 for a very good price on RV Trader, but it still cost a good bit to do the upgrade (new truck aside). 

As far as your question about the axle risers, I believe my dealer discouraged me from going that route, and I also may have read some posts. I think it would be worth asking your dealer about it and also searching for aftermarket options. 

Have a great time in West Michigan. I think Michigan has some of the best parks for trailer camping. 

All the best! 

Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 8:36pm
There is something wrong there for sure. We have a R-179, and the receiver on the F-150 is a little over 19", and we're also using the E2 hitch (the 600). The drop on our hitch does not look like that, nor does it drop like that. Is yours the Hood River Edition?
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
RoyToy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoyToy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 8:43pm
Thanks for your reply.  I got two opinions on axle risers from two dealers. One said to try what we have then add.  Second said risers would effect towing and suspension and not to add. It's a shame to have this problem with the Pilot- cause it is our go-to vehicle! 
RoyToy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoyToy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 8:46pm
Our Pod is not the Hood River Edition and does not have risers on it either  Thank You
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 9:21pm
Go for the risers. We have them on our 2016 179. If Forest River thought it safe to add them at the factory, you should be okay with having them installed after market.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 8:47am
I agree with StephenH, use the risers.  They improve overall ground clearance, reduce the risk of dragging the back of the trailer when you go over driveways or other obstructions, and improve the geometry of the trailer vis-a-vi the TV.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 52>