R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Have You Done Any Mods?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 52>
Poll Question: Have you done any mods to your R-Pod?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
683 [81.41%]
10 [1.19%]
134 [15.97%]
10 [1.19%]
2 [0.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote francoisfrogpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have You Done Any Mods?
    Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 3:23pm
Today's Mods. Little by little, it is feeling more like our pod everyday.

A little cubby cut into the curb-side dinette bench to allow access.

A spice rack purchased from Ikea, stained and mounted above the valance. On the right is an acrylic magazine holder to hold paper, pens, magazines, etc. This was mounted in our previous RV and I don't remember where I bought it. Likely Office Depot.

Here is the one on the street side. Left a space to hang a picture or something...

Here is the street side shelf with containers hanging on them. The containers were also purchased at Ikea for 99 cents. The are designed to hang from a rail to hold kitchen stuff, but they also fit on the spice rack.

Denny and Linda

2013 Pod 177
'08 Santa Fe
yellowstonestu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowstonestu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 8:37pm
How have you attached items to the walls of your Rpod?  Particularly the outside walls.  Is it o.k. to drill into and screw items to the outside walls?  Do I need to use anchors?  Any ideas will be helpful.
Yellowstonestu & Bela the Vizsla
2008 Toyota FJ
2015 RPod 179 (Pod #2)
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Podsible Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 9:06pm
The exterior walls are a sandwich of 1/8" plywood, styrofoam, more plywood and the exterior fiberglass shell.  The foam is just under 1" thick.
  Some folks use plastic expandable anchors for every hanging item.  I have found that for under three to five pound objects, like closet maid baskets, those white wire baskets and similar things, using 1/2" x#8 sheet metal screws (coarse thread) to mount works well.  I use wire or cable clamps to hold wire baskets.  
A lot of folks use Command strip products to mount to the walls.

Walt

Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
francoisfrogpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote francoisfrogpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 1:51pm
I used command strips for the magazine rack and DH used small screws for the wooden shelves. Probably 1/2 inch or less. Command strips would not hold the stained shelves. They kept coming loose. DH was nervous about putting screws in the wall, but I pointed out that the valance was attached with screws. After that, he was less nervous but we were both very careful about measuring where to put the screws.

Denny and Linda

2013 Pod 177
'08 Santa Fe
serenitypod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote serenitypod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 12:29pm
We got tired of tripping over shoes and didn't like the idea of keeping them outside while winter camping in the Pacific Northwest.  The "shoe cubby" offers 4 bays beneath the bed right inside the pod door.

Matt and Marcee
2013 Rpod 172 HRE
2012 Ford F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 12:37pm
Nice.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
francoisfrogpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote francoisfrogpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 12:48pm
Very nice, serenitypod!
Denny and Linda

2013 Pod 177
'08 Santa Fe
TRICERA-POD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote TRICERA-POD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 1:05pm
Did not like the wasted space above the bed or the TV/DVD/Radio combo, we read way to much and enjoy the outdoors. So I removed it and replaced it with a above the bed storage compartment. Not bad for only having Tricera-Pod for a week. Made from 1/4 birch plywood, closed off with 1/4 plywood sliding doors. Left the electrical outlet in the storage compartment and drilled a hole so we can gain access to plug in items at night. Will build a self under storage compartment (bed area) soon to hold items such as glasses, books, phone etc. 

Not sure how one post images so they can be viewed when you read the post. But at least if you open image you can see what I have done. If the images are too small let me know and I will post larger ones.

Edited: made them viewable in-line.  Use the little tree icon to insert images.  - techntrek

Thank you techntrek. I tried that at first had some issues, my computer or the operator. I figured it out just a few minutes before I read your post.
Carl & Sandee              2013 R 177               2012 Titan
Goose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 2:49pm
That's nice!!!! Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Dawg Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 2:19am
What is the best way to hang things on the walls of the rPod? Can you screw things into the walls? What length screw works best? Should I stick with Velcro instead? Erin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 52>