R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 58>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 6:55am
Interesting, I didnt realize they made a ladder that would fold like that. I've seen the telescoping ladders but that didn't seem like there was a good way to pack it away but your folding ladder is the way to go. Thanks for sharing.

Mark & Vicki
R-POD 178 & 2015 Silverado 5.3L
Weimeraner "Zeke"
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 10:09pm
This is the one I have:  GP Logistics SLDS6 Ladder. I bought it used. There is also a double-sided ladder for not much more. If I were buying it new, I would get the double-sided one.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 9:41pm
Wow I'm impressed with all your mods. The ladder mod is a great idea. Cleaning debris from the slideout is always a problem for me. What ladder do you use?
Mark & Vicki
R-POD 178 & 2015 Silverado 5.3L
Weimeraner "Zeke"
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 3:52pm
Okay. This one is a modification to one of my modifications. I got the Camco dual propane tank cover for the single to dual propane tank modification. Right away, I noticed a problem. With the Stromberg-Carlson Trailer Tray, I do not have enough room to put the assembled cover on and remove it. To use it and access the tanks, I need to be able to separate the two halves and reassemble them. Rather than having to deal with separate nuts and machine screws, I decided to take an idea I read about that was used previously and use threaded rivets (AKA nutsert) in one half so that I only have to deal with the machine screws.

I purchased the tool at Harbor Freight. One issue is that it comes with 10 8-32 threaded rivets. Amazon to the rescue. I ordered a batch of 100 8-32 threaded rivets so I have plenty for other projects. These are Aluminum. I do not know if the tool would be strong enough for stainless steel or other metal rivets. Most likely, it wouldn't be.

These got inserted into the half that will be toward the trailer (also the side I modified to remove the hump so it will clear the front of the RPod). Now, I only have to deal with the machine screws. There is  still the risk of dropping one or more, but I can keep some spares on hand. Now my tanks are protected from road hazards and I can get to them to change tanks as needed.

Also, I had the center cover hinge angle break, so I drilled a hole and a wire tie now serves the purpose of the hinge there. The two sides are original, but if they break, they will get the same treatment.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 1:51pm
Interesting, but I already have my battery installed. This might be a good source for anyone else looking for an inexpensive battery. However, warranty might be an issue with one of these if it comes in DOA.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by StephenH

After thinking about it and realizing that the travel we have done with dual 6V GC2 batteries puts a lot of stress on the A frame (The batteries together weigh about 120 lbs.), and seeing that prices on LiFePO4 batteries are coming down from the stratosphere, I decided that it was time to convert from the GC2 batteries to an LiFePO4 battery. The two batteries I have are 215AH batteries. Since they are flooded cell, I effectively have a little over 100AH of usable power. I was researching batteries, thinking I would purchase a Battle Born 100AH LiFePO4 battery, but they are still over $900. (Battle Born will give a military discount if anyone wants to purchase from them.). I came across a listing on Amazon for an Expert Power battery. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X4Z8FML/ This battery has some pretty good specs and like the Battle Born battery, has an expected 10 year lifetime. The current price is $789.99. I happened to hit it when a coupon code was available, so I paid less. 

Things seem to be changing rapidly. I recently learned of another source for LiFePO batteries through Alibaba. If you're comfortable with Alibaba, these 1280 Wh batteries can be bought as samples for about $320.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 11:03am
[/QUOTE] As for cutting and extending the A frame, I would be very, very leery about doing it. If there is any warranty left, it would immediately void it. Also, it would need a structural engineer to make sure that it would be able to take the road stress. It would probably be better to cut the A frame off completely and build a new one that is longer since then there would not be any joints that could break from road stress. It could also be extended back farther and tie into the frame at more than one point. I don't have the knowledge or ability to do such design work to make a change like that.[/QUOTE]

Both you and I along with, I would guess, most others would not have the ability to engineer or fabricate this modification of the trailer A frame tongue. It would be nice if someone could engineer this modification, that wouldn't be cost prohibited, because I would love to have just six inches or a foot more length to work with when doing modifications as you have done or I with adding a tool box/battery bin and mounting dual propane tanks.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by DavMar

Looks like a easy fix and if it doesn't last just peal off some more Gorilla Tape!

What you ran into is one of the down sides of having the curved front on our pods. I had to mount my tool box/battery locker mod farther towards the front so that the lid would open because of the same problem you ran into. I often wonder if I could have the frame tongue cut and then weld a six inch to one foot extension of it to give me more room for mounting the tool box and dual propane tank with its cover? Don't know what effect that would have on towing, anti-sway bars, ect. if did such a modification on the frame???? 
Yes, I realized that very quickly. The curve does allow for the battery/batteries to sit there, but anything taller won't work. As for cutting and extending the A frame, I would be very, very leery about doing it. If there is any warranty left, it would immediately void it. Also, it would need a structural engineer to make sure that it would be able to take the road stress. It would probably be better to cut the A frame off completely and build a new one that is longer since then there would not be any joints that could break from road stress. It could also be extended back farther and tie into the frame at more than one point. I don't have the knowledge or ability to do such design work to make a change like that.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 1:57pm
Looks like a easy fix and if it doesn't last just peal off some more Gorilla Tape!

What you ran into is one of the down sides of having the curved front on our pods. I had to mount my tool box/battery locker mod farther towards the front so that the lid would open because of the same problem you ran into. I often wonder if I could have the frame tongue cut and then weld a six inch to one foot extension of it to give me more room for mounting the tool box and dual propane tank with its cover? Don't know what effect that would have on towing, anti-sway bars, ect. if did such a modification on the frame???? 
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 4:11pm
Stephen,  
Looks good and like it will work out well. And that Gorilla tape should make it to Alaska and back.  Have fun and be safe.

Jay
Jay

179/2019
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 58>