R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow Vehicle Cruise Control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Vehicle Cruise Control
    Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 3:35am
I have found the same thing with my FJ with or without the pod, going up almost any incline the sucker will go from say 2000rpm to 3-4 rpm. I use cruise control but only when on flat ground. Yes it means starting and stopping the cruise but its only a button. I like the looks of the FJ (tank like/nothing going to hurt me in it except maybe a fully loaded 18 wheeler.)
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 5:31am
Yes I've learned when I see a hill coming to kick the cruise off.   I use it a lot to rest my foot, old age has a way of making things get stiff or sore quicklyWink
Like said it will downshift as many gears as it needs to in order to keep the speed up, even if that means redline!  Crazy.   I think if it can't get it on the next gear down or maybe two it needs to reduce speed or give up and drop out. 

As for resting my foot etc- I'm looking into a second gas pedal on the left side-  I know I've seen them in cars modified for amputees etc...would be nice to switch feet occasionally in places where cruise control just isn't practical.

I'm bummed Toyota is dropping the FJ-  just a few changes and I'd be considering a new one.

Hate the fact the rear door windows don't open, my dogs hate it even more.

Remove the large blind spots and swap those dang outside mirrors.  The mirrors could be made to rotate 90 deg so they could either be tall or wide depending on what was needed*.

Slope the windshield some to improve fuel mileage and reduce rock damage..we have had two stone stars already in 40,000 miles...my 96 pickup has 200,000+ and has none!  The windshield people will tell you that is one of the hardest to change and the trim is frequently damaged requiring replacement.  Guess what, the trim doesn't come painted, so it really gets expensive.

If I had my dreams they'd put about a 3L turbo diesel in it, and offer a 6 speed manual ( I would consider one of the new 7 or 8 speed automatics)  that did not require full time 4wd, still want 4wd just don't want it ALL the time as that hurts fuel mileage.

And of course- FIX the cruise control. 

* For those that don't know off roaders generally prefer a tall mirror so they can see exactly where the tires are in tricky situations.   On the road a wide mirror is preferred to see that small car next to you so you don't change lanes into him, and in our case to see around that trailer you are towing.

Man, I wish I still had my 1974 FJ40 I bought brand new back then, for a mere $4000,  it had a better cruise control that I put on it.
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
Kermit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 9:04am
There is a company making replacement windows for the back doors that open. I think saw them advertised in a recent 4x4 mag.
'14 182g
Towed by various Jeeps
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 9:33am
My 2013 Tacoma cruise control does the same thing. Annoying! I use CC while towing on level to moderate hills, but turn it off on the roller coaster highways. I can essentially maintain the same speeds uphill by careful application of the accelerator. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 9:38am
Thanks Kermit-  That might be the Freedom windows you saw.
Unfortunately they are plastic and I object to that!  Keep hoping someone will devise glass ones that pop out to a vent position and ideally can just be removed quickly if need be.
2014 179
Boomertype View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 7:31pm
 Cruise on my 2014 Tundra is smooth on hills.  Maybe it's the difference in a vehicle that is designed to tow and one that's more passenger oriented.

ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 10:12pm
Only real downside is climbing hills. You may want to slow down instead of killing the engine in higher RPM's.
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Budward

If I had my dreams they'd put about a 3L turbo diesel in it, and offer a 6 speed manual ( I would consider one of the new 7 or 8 speed automatics)  that did not require full time 4wd, still want 4wd just don't want it ALL the time as that hurts fuel mileage.I put on it.

Toyota will never bring a diesel to North America.. I had a 4Runner for 10 years and had that dream.. Had to switch to a German made diesel SUV to get what I wanted/needed.
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 7:27am
     The Ram 1500 with its new Fiat diesel engine with a 8 speed transmision is very popular have not read how good of a TV it is.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 10:46am
Originally posted by ToolmanJohn

Toyota will never bring a diesel to North America..

http://wardsauto.com/vehicles-amp-technology/toyota-tundra-set-receive-cummins-diesel
2014 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>