R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Dome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Dome
    Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 9:45pm
I have a question for the experts. I have a 2011 171. I am interested in getting an R-Dome, but I can’t find one used anywhere. I would just buy a new one, but the guys at R-Pod parts store are telling me they only sell a new version that won’t fit the brackets on my 2011 model, so I would have to buy a new bracket additionally. I guess I have three questions. First, is there anywhere I can buy a 2011 or older R-Dome model? Second, is there a way to make a newer R-Dome model work without having to buy new brackets? Finally, from those with experience, is the R-Dome worth the $650 in parts and shipping to get the new R-Dome conversion? Thanks for the help.
Dave
2011 171 + 1997 Toyota 4Runner
Jdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 10:34pm
Depends upon what you want it for. If you just want an awning, there are lots of easy cheap,alternatives that can provide shade from the run and protection from the rain. We got a flexible tent rod to feed into the C clamp, and use it to hold a piece of awning material with three poles for support. Works great for us and cheap. 

We haven't even seen an rdome so maybe we don't know what we are missing.....
Elkhart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 11:21pm
depends what kind of camping you do and duration. for us if we are only camping for a night or two we don't set it up, but if we are camping for a week we will set it up it really does give you more living space as a add a room used as a bug, rain, storage, privacy, shelter. once you set it up a couple times it goes pretty quick. is it worth 650, well we got ours with the camper, does sound a little pricey.   
Keith & Kelly
2012 171 Pod
2013 Ford F150 TV
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 8:15am
That sounds a lot pricey. Ours also came with the camper. We set it up everytime. It's nice, but offers little sun protection and not a ton of shade. They are great at keeping bugs out. The sides do roll up to allow for plenty of airflow.
We bought the silver reflective material and just made a "sheet" to go on top of the dome. Keeps the sun out for hot days.
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 9:11am
If you use it.. It's worth it.. we use ours almost all the time. Your 171 has a "small" keeder rail, and the new ones have a large keeder, so they won't interchange either way. Replacing the keeder track would be no big deal, and my *guess* is, less than $20. Unless you take it to a dealer and pay retail for the parts and service time, then a couple hundred.. It's literally going to be "unscrew old, screw on new"..
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 9:44am
If you are going to use it, it is always worth having it in my book.  We use ours every time we do any camping, except for single-night stays.  However, that price seems awfully high compared to what they were going for a year ago.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 10:07am
You might try a Tent and Awning shop, they might be able to replace the keeder with the correct one for your POD at less cost. We have had ours for 4 years now and it came with our POD but to buy it at that time was around $400. Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 10:50am
I've had a dome since day one of our Pod, if I had to replace it tomorrow I'd pay whatever it cost because it is literally the Pod's biggest room.

And you would be hard pressed to find an old dome with the small keder unless it were here on this forum.  Seeing as FR can no longer provide them, there stock of them is gone and Dometic must not make them that size anymore.
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 11:56am
I think the dome is definitely worth having and using. It is invaluable for adding additional space as well as shade , rain protection and privacy.

I have seen several domes for sale on this forum and the other r pod forum-perhaps you can find a less expensive dome in the classifieds.

good luck
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Hairy Podders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 12:21pm
We used our Dome for the first time on our new 178 this past weekend. It took a little figuring out & we ended up watching Tink's video on Youtube. But we did it. It held up very well to the winds that we had all weekend too. We were even able to fold it up & get it back in the original bag!!
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>