This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedconfused TV - ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: confused TV - ?
    Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 6:57pm
Hello, my wife and I have just been to the Toronto RV show. We thought we had picked the travel trailer for us, the Rpod 178 but having read several postings on your web site, we are unsettled as what we should do. The reason, our Suv.  We recently purchased a 2014 Mercedes GLK 250 diesel. We opted NOT to purchase a factory installed trailer hitch because the only size available was an 1 1/4. We are now going through the process of buying and having installed a 2" hitch with add ons[electric brakes, stabilizer bar, etc.] from a RV dealer. The GLK is listed as pulling up to 3500 lbs but when speaking with the Mercedes dealer, they say you should pull less than that. Two local dealers say that it should not be a problem, one dealer has installed hitches on other Mercedes cars. Has anyone pulled a 178 with the same GLK or similar SUV and what do you recommend.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 8:49pm
Welcome.  Looking at the specs, 200 hp is fairly low, but the twin-turbo diesel @ 369 ft-lbs of torque will make you wonder if you have anything behind you off the line.  You may wish for a bigger gas tank on long trips, you'll be filling up 15 gallons often.  7-speed tranny will help to find just the right gear for every condition.  I'm a little worried about the high 3.07 rear gearing but that may not be an issue with so much torque up-front.  The 108 wheelbase is very short for towing, I'm not sure I would want to go that short.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
drobbjr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 9:21pm
Thanks for your quick reply. I will look into why a short wheel base is not good. Maybe I should be looking at a lighter and shorter trailer.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 10:06pm

The shorter the wheelbase, the easier it is for a trailer to push the TV around.  This contributes to sway in the trailer, loss of control of the TV, and in general you get a more uncomfortable towing ride.  For comparison, the "short" wheelbase Tahoe is 116 inches.  The current Toyota Sienna is 119 inches.

Binnybee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 6:59am
Don't think you need a sway bar. I don't have one with mine a no problems.

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Binnybee

Don't think you need a sway bar. I don't have one with mine a no problems.

I don't either.. but I tow with a large SUV.

Binnybee it would help if we knew what YOU are towing, and what your tow vehicle is.

3500 lbs TV rating is for most people, to low of a rating for pulling the pods. Many people are towing right at the limit, and are comfortable. It is a slightly subjective thing. You WILL be within the manufacturers specs, but you may, or may not, be comfortable towing with that combination. It helps that it's a diesel, power shouldn't be a problem. If you encounter sway, a sway bar takes no time to add later, if you choose to start without one. (I wouldn't)
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 9:13am
We have a 3500# limit on our TV, but we also purposely bought a 171 which is the lowest weight of the Pods available at the time.  We loved the 182 at the time but didn't want to push it on our overall weight, and I personally think you may be doing so if you go with the 178.  As furpod has stated, it is somewhat subjective but you have to still stay within a comfortable safety zone when towing anything.  We've been towing mainly in flatter areas, on shorter trips, keeping our speed and weight down, and we have been just fine.  But we've also started looking at upgrading to a larger towing capacity TV because we want to take longer trips into the mountains more in the future, and having that extra cushion would be nice.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 6:35pm
I would say a sway bar, or weight distribution hitch with sway control built-in, is a must with that wheelbase.  As I mention in the "instruction manual" (link in my signature), a short wheelbase is a primary contributor to sway. 
FlyPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 1:00pm
Confused,
I have a new 178 POD that I tow with a Lexus Crossover 450H. It has a 3500 tow capacity. I have made 2 trips without any problem. Cuts my gas mileage from 27 to abot 13 but pulls hills fine. It has a factory tow package that includes larger radiator and transmission cooling and I added electric brake controls, load leveling hitch and sway bar. You are smart to add those features with a smaller tow capaity vehicle.
Good luck, FlyPod
FlyPod
FlyPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 1:04pm
I agree. It may feel fine with out sway control just going down the highway but load leveling and sway control will give you added control and peace of mind for any emergency avoidance maneuver you may encounter in your travels. I have a similar 3500 capacity and towed short distances before I got the sway control installed and I could feel the difference.
FlyPod
FlyPod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>