Topic ClosedLooking for R-pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
voy108 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for R-pod
    Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 3:41pm
Well, my search is over. I was going to go for a 171 in Fl but came across a dealer here in TX that had blow out price on a new 2017, 171. Had to wait until I got back before I could do anything. Well, their blow out was $12,626. By the time I got to the ad it was off the special price and up to 13,294. Called 'em today and offered 12000 waiting for a counter of 12500. Well, they came back at 11995. Whoopee, I said, and said I take it. I'm amazed and the sales guy said he was also. I pick it up Thursday. Now to get the Explorer ready. Monday I'll check on a new hitch and brake controller. They can do the brake controller and 7 pin. Controller, 175...7 pin, 125. Soooo, I guess I can say I now own an R-Pod!!!
Doug
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 10:30am
Originally posted by voy108

WOW, thanks to all of you for the GREAT input. I'm feeling better about the Explorer for now and will look into changing TV in future once I get the Pod. There is are a couple 171's in TX for sale so will look at them as soon as I get back which should be the 20th.I think I have wrapped up my brother's affairs so now it's up to his kids to sell the house once transfer is completed. Since I am single with small dog, I have settled on the 171 as apposed to the 172. Would rather have the dinette and queen plus from what I gather the 171 is set up a bit better for heater and storage. Big smile
Doug
Just one more voice in the wilderness here, but I would not tow an R-pod with the 1-1/4" receiver. It's really not meant for anything greater than a bike carrier or a very small utility trailer. Please do replace that receiver with a full 2" receiver.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
MontanaBreeze View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 9:19am
We have an RPOD for sale, if you want to come to Montana to get it!! Big smile It comes with an extended warranty.  It's 17'8". We have babied the heck out of it.  No smoking, never used the toilet for solid waste.  We used a latex 2 in topper over the mattress.  Comes with an anti-sway system which is a gas saver in the prairie winds of Montana.  We also have a heavy duty adjustable hitch to go with it. Everything about this camper is easy! Small bump out, queen bed, nice dining area that makes into another bed. Storage everywhere. Has solar capabilities; the fiberglass exterior is pretty much hail proof.  We also put extra coating on it to protect from fading. We use an f150 to pull it with no drag. Two batteries; propane; elec/gas fridge. Convection/ Microwave. Two burner gas range. TV/DVD  Radio, outside speakers. The list goes on! Difficult to find one used that is like new! A/C, bathroom fan, scissor jacks. Includes 7 year extended warranty ( four years left).  
Greetings! We love the R-Pod experience. The fiberglass shell, the high clearance, the comforts, the solar capacity. The interior height for us tall folks!
Gregm View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 1:42pm
I think you will like the 171. We do. I recommend you get another mattress though unless FR has changed the ones they have been supplying. Best of luck!
Gregm
2014 171
2015 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
voy108 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 1:24pm
WOW, thanks to all of you for the GREAT input. I'm feeling better about the Explorer for now and will look into changing TV in future once I get the Pod. There is are a couple 171's in TX for sale so will look at them as soon as I get back which should be the 20th.I think I have wrapped up my brother's affairs so now it's up to his kids to sell the house once transfer is completed. Since I am single with small dog, I have settled on the 171 as apposed to the 172. Would rather have the dinette and queen plus from what I gather the 171 is set up a bit better for heater and storage. Big smile
Doug
Gregm View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 9:23am
The Explorer should be fine. When we got our pod we had a Suburu and did not care for the way it handled when towing.The salesman said it would be OK.
We now tow with a Toyota Tacoma and are quite happy
Gregm
2014 171
2015 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 9:16am
We were towing with a Ford Escape with 2L Ecoboost engine until we hit ice with a strong crosswind. We now tow with a Nissan Frontier with 4L naturally aspirated V6. In a few aspects, the Escape towed better than the Frontier. At any significant altitude, the 2L Ecoboost engine had more power than the naturally aspirated 4L V6. The transmission also had more gears, so it was better in mountasins, especially when set to Sport (or Schlepp) mode.The shorter distance between the rear axle and hitch ball on the Escape also meant the trailer exerted less force on the TV. I actually feel the trailer more with the Frontier than I did with the Escape because of the increased axle to hitch ball distance.

Now, the Frontier does have a 6,100 lb tow rating as opposed to the Escape's 3,500 lb rating. Having the truck bed to carry items like a generator, spare propane tank, and gasoline for the generator is great. Now if the Frontier had a diesel engine, I think it would be close to ideal for towing an R-Pod.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 7:45am
The rating of the hitch is not the same as the rating of the truck. Make sure you double/triple check the trucks rating.

You will have to have a 7-pin connection installed and a brake controller. These are not optional. The GVWR of all Pods is 3500lbs. In Texas, brakes are required on all trailers over 4,500lbs, but all your surrounding states, the requirement starts at 3,000lbs.

There are people using Rav 4's and Subaru's to tow, It's neither safe nor advised. F150's are a full size truck, no issue there.

The Explorer can be a fine tow vehicle for Pods, if properly equipped. We towed many miles with our '99 Explorer Limited, 5.0, 7400lb tow rating.

In the long run we see WAY more unhappy towing stories from people who are trying to tow at the bottom of the limits. And I can't remember a single owner who said their previous "smaller" tow vehicle was in any way better then what they upgraded to, if they upgrade.

BTW, the biggest towing issue with a Pod isn't the dry weight, by a long shot. The biggest issues are frontal area, and braking, controlling the load.

As far as switching out hitches, that is a solid option if the truck, is in fact, otherwise rated to tow more then that hitch is rated to. Another advantage of that is with a 2" hitch, a Weight Distributing Hitch, (WDH), and sway control, become available. (though, with a slight modification or two, anti sway can be added to a 1 1/4 hitch).

Many owners run a WDH, even when "not needed on paper" because they get a much better ride and feel more in control when towing.

OH, and after re-reading the OP, finding a 151 is a pretty sketchy plan.. We have been podding for 7 years, have been to dozens of Pod rallies, pay attention when traveling, and two weeks ago, saw a 151 in the wild for the first time. It is in fact owned by a couple that lives about 50 miles from us, and was at the 2017 KY R-Pods and Friends MiniMini rally. 151's were only built in the first couple production runs, only a couple hundred in the whole world, and out of production for 7 years now.
GrantP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:39pm
Welcome and have fun with your research.
voy108 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:28pm
Hi all, y'all(thanks to The Bum's input who is from TX)
According to the fellow(he had huge commercial flatbed) that picked up my brother's Buick for his daughter, he said the hitch has factory bolts so could be(should be) a factory installed tow package...maybe not heavy duty.  The plate has stamped on it 3500lbs max with 350 tongue weigh and a non-7pin plug. If I can avoid it, I would rather not invest $$$$ on a vehicle that I may get rid of in the next year or so. Based on all my research on the 'net, the Explorer is rated for 5000lbs+ and the 171 dry weight is 2205/245. Maybe I'm missing what is needed but folks are using Rav 4's, Subaru's, Ford 150's, and Honda Odysseys to tow the Pods. I'm confused. Embarrassed
Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>