R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFire Starting Kit: the old way!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fire Starting Kit: the old way!
    Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 3:52pm
Here is what Lewis and Clark did.  I'm not old enough to have gone with them, I was just a little tike, so I didn't see this in person!LOL

Get yourself a small metal box with a lid on it.  Something like an Altoids box.

1.  Cut pieces of an OLD 100% cotton "T" shirt that will just fit into the box.

2.  ****The next time you have a camp fire or BBQ going throw in the box.  When the fire has cooled down get the box out.  Inside you will have cotton charcoal.

3.  Get a small amount of tiny pieces of wood.  A good example would be the thin paper like wood found on the underside of some dried wood bark.  Add to this small twigs.  Very small.

4.  Here is the tough part.  Steel and flint.  What you need is high carbon steel.  I think steel files are but I'm not sure.  The flint ( also called Chirt ) can be had in most parts of the country just by looking on the ground for it.  Or you could go to a rock shop and get some.

5.  Put a sheet or 2 of the cotton charcoal on the ground, add a little of the thin wood, get close to your fire pit and strike the steel with the flint.  It would be a glancing blow going towards the fire material.  You should be able to get sparks this way.  The sparks are enough to set the cotton charcoal on fire which in turn would start the other wood.

**** The metal box you use should have a tight fitting lid.  Be sure to burn off all paint etc from the box before you first use it.  Add a tiny hole on each side of the box.  Whittle down a wooden match stick or other wood to tightly fit the holes.  When you are cooking the cloth watch the holes.  After gas comes out and burns there will be smoke.  As soon as the smoke stops get your can out of the fire and stick the hole plugs in right away.

See what is around your area that would be light weight and burn very easy to use as your first layer of wood on the charcoal. 

You can put your charcoal, steel & flint and starting material all together in a nice little box and pack it away.  This does work.  I have done it.  I learned this at a Lewis and Clark Park.

Terry

PS:  If someone know what common things are high carbon steel it would help.

You can cheat and buy the charcoal cloth and flint here:  http://www.flint-rocks.com/?gclid=CKOng5fKqZ4CFRshnAodtR5umg
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 11:05pm
Wow! John's an eagle scout so he will definitely be impressed.

As for me, I'll stick with:

LOL
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
yizit View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 11:47pm
Good information and something fun for kids to learn, as well as the big kids. But as for me...I'll stick to the Safe Lite Fire Starters   http://www.northlineexpress.com/category/fire-starters.aspThumbs Up

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 3:47am
Myself, i use self starting BBQ briquettes.  Put some down, touch them with a lit match and pile on the wood.  Works very well.  If I was a long distance hiker I would use it because of it being small and light weight BUT, I ain't so I won't!LOL

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
VenturaTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2009 at 10:44am
I'm with Terry....I like to use my small Weber grill...cook some dinner, then use the coals as a base for the fire. 
Tom
R-Pod 177 with Chevy S-10ext Cab V6 puller
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 9:39am
I was taught in survival training to use Frito Corn Chips.  Put some in a zip lock bag.  Does not matter if the get mashed or stay whole.  Use a pinch or more.  Good hot fire will erupt when touched by a match, or flint spark.  They are light.  Do not take up much room in your geat bag.  Cheap.  They work great.  Try one
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 9:54am
I start mine the old fashion way Duraflame, it has never let me down.LOL
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 10:32am
I also like flint and steel, and many products are available on the internet, but it does require practice (ex.  http://www.primitivefire.com/Flint-and-Steel-Kits_c_10.html ). 

My wife one-upped me by demonstrating that some alcohol-based gel hand cleaner and a match will light anything burnable.
Bugout View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 10:32am
I like fat wood. All natural. 
Jk Aiken South Carolina 2016 178 Toyota Tundra 2017 4.6
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 10:42am

Yep....Fritos work! Some folks save the lint from their clothes dryer and use that.

I have done primitive fire starting demonstrations at our State Parks many times. I'll say this - prior to the invention of matches, starting a fire was a lot of work!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>