R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFriction sway control OR weight distribution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Friction sway control OR weight distribution
    Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 10:28pm
It depends on your tow vehicle and the tongue weight of your r-pod... Check the specs on your vehicle and your r-pod, if you're approaching your tow vehicle's max hitch weight (don't forget that stuff you carry in the back of your truck also adds to the hitch weight; equally, your r-pod's propane tank, battery and everything you carry in the trailer will affect your tongue weight), seriously consider a WDH.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 9:28pm
I agree with CharlieM.  I tow with a Santa Fe 6 which has plenty of power and is relatively heavy, but it does have a rather short wheelbase.  Without a WDH, the Santa Fe does tend to squat since all of the tongue weight of the trailer is concentrated on the hitch ball.  I want both my TV and TT to be level, so I always use my WDH.

We returned from a 6000 mile trip last month, and with the sway control properly adjusted, we experienced no sway from passing trucks and strong gusty crosswinds.  One day I failed to tighten the sway control sufficiently, and we soon noticed sway.  One additional turn on the adjustment lever (to where I normally set it) and the tendency to sway disappeared entirely.  I strongly recommend both, especially on extended trips.

My dealer, who sells both the WDH and sway controls, tried to talk me out of both.  As you put it, he thought either or both would be over-kill.  Based on my experience, though limited, I totally disagree with his opinion. The R-Pod is very light, so obviously it is subject to sway. 
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 8:49pm
OK. Here's my put on the subject. I tow an RP-172 with a 2010 4WD Honda Pilot rated at 4500 pounds. BTW, I also have a V6 Tacoma but I don't tow with it.

Sway control and weight distribution are two separate functions. Sway control keeps the trailer directly behind the TV so it doesn't try to steer the TV. It usually employs some sort of friction device. Weight distribution shifts a portion of the trailer tongue weight off the back of the TV and onto the TV front wheels and trailer axle. This restores steering control to the TV front wheels. In addition the WDH eliminates most of the "porpoising" experienced when going over dips and bumps on the road. For light weight short wheelbase TVs like the Tacoma and Honda I highly recommend both. This is for safety, comfort, and mental stress. Many Podders use the E2 hitch which combines weight distribution and sway control in a single device. A single set of bars provides both functions. When PROPERLY ADJUSTED you won't even know the Pod is back there, except for acceleration and gas mileage. I emphasize: read and understand the installation instructions and check the setup. Don't trust the dealer's work. An improperly adjusted WDH can be worse than nothing at all. I had that experience and had a very bad time until I readjusted the hitch.

I have the E2, have gone through the setup, and am very glad to have it.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
bc matell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 8:02pm
OK what one do I go with??  FRICTION SWAY CONTROL or WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM??

I think both would be over kill. I have gotten advice from trailer stores,repairs and trailer dealers. They all say one or the other,never the same anwser. 
Thanks again for your imput!
TV 2012 Toyota Tacoma 6 cyl
Misha the Lab
Loving life and living it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234