R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement Fender?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement Fender?
    Posted: 21 May 2022 at 9:19am
I have joined the ranks of those who had a tire blow out on the highway with the accompanying loss of a fender. I found the fender, but it was not reusable as it had landed on the road and someone hit it, sending it off into the weeds. It was mangled beyond use, so it went into the back of the highway safety truck that also picked up the tread that had separated.

We are at my daughter's house in South Jordan, Utah for about a week, then we will go to our daughter's house in the Phoenix area for a few days. I checked with Camping World, and was told a fender could be ordered from the factory. We all know what that would mean. I have one back home, but that is in North Carolina. It is one that was not quite right which is why it is at home.

Does anyone know of a place in the Salt Lake City area or the Phoenix area where I might be able to find a fender? I would like to have one in place before we leave to head back home.

Edit:  Also, what is the best way to patch/fill the old screw holes? I'm pretty sure a new fender's holes would likely not line up with the existing holes.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 10:06am
Originally posted by StephenH

Also, what is the best way to patch/fill the old screw holes? I'm pretty sure a new fender's holes would likely not line up with the existing holes.

I would make an epoxy/wood fiber filler that you can pack into the hole. Find an epoxy that is fairly liquid, and mix it with a small batch of wood fiber (AKA saw dust) until it is about the consistency of peanut butter. You just don't want it to run. Then poke it into the holes with anything small that can get into the hole. Once you have it full, tape over it with masking tape or duct tape or whatever tape you have laying around. nce it's cured, you can remove the tape and drill it to accept screws.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 10:11am
Thanks. I was thinking of Bondo auto body filler. I like the idea of some fiber.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 1:48pm
When it happened to me I had to order the fender from the factory and the factory had to ship it to an R-Pod dealer.  I don't know, maybe they could have done Camping World.  I guess the point is, you probably aren't going to find one locally.

I don't remember: are the right and left fenders the same?

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
jimandclare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jimandclare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 3:14pm
Had the same problem in 2019.  I worked through the dealer for the new fender.  FR requested a photo of the existing fender along with the length, height and depth to match the replacement.  There is plywood underneath the fiberglass at that location so I filled the holes with silicon caulk.  The new fender covered the holes and it seems fine.  One thing to note is that the fender doesn't come with marker lights so that's another item that may need to be purchased also.

Jim & Clare
2016 R-pod 178
2014 Ford Edge
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 3:21pm
  I forget do the newer r-pods with fenders have marker lights on their fenders?
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 7:58pm
The newer models have a single unit that sits on top of the fender with amber in front and red in back. Ours has two separate lights, amber and red a few inches above the bottom of the fender. I have no idea where those went. I did not see them on the fender when I found it. As for the fender, it was flattened and tossed into the weeds by a passing vehicle, so there would not have been the opportunity to take measurements. I could take measurements from the other side.

I almost want to use one of the diamond plate ones that is squared off to have a flat top to use. I'll be weighing options as we travel and likely, not do anything about it until we get home.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
poston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 10:09pm

TI almost want to use one of the diamond plate ones that is squared off to have a flat top to use. I'll be weighing options as we travel and likely, not do anything about it until we get home.

That's what we did.  We drove home with "one shoe off, one shoe on" and ordered a pair of the flat-top fenders.  We were able to salvage the marker lights off the mangled fender.  Required some splicing of wires that were ripped off in the blast.

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 11:03pm
Thanks. From the looks, they are unpainted. Are they aluminum? Did you paint them? 
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
poston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 11:37pm

Thanks. From the looks, they are unpainted. Are they aluminum? Did you paint them? 

They are aluminum.  We were headed out on a trip, so I Plastidipped them with a few coats after scuffing them up.

No good.  The Plastidip adhered to the aluminum, but rocks chipped the heck out of them.  I'd said they're 50% Plastidip and 50% bare aluminum now.  It's ugly (or rugged, depending on your perspective), but I haven't been motivated to actually paint them.

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>