R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEmergency Exit Window Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emergency Exit Window Replacement
    Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 1:36pm
We were just camping at Tahoe City S.P. They came around pretty often to make sure people were using the bear boxes.. I wondered about food in the RV itself.. My parents have camped there and Snowflower a ton, so far never a problem..
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 10:57pm
Who would ever have thought you might need a product like this in your own backyard?!! (Or "driveway" to be more accurate.)  Ouch

2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by IrishPod

Wow...what a story! Sorry about the damage.

I really hope bears in my home state of Virginia are not as smart and clever as the one you've encountered!

(Please don't tell me this incident occurred in VA!!) Cry

I doubt you'll have too many bear attacks in Fairfax.  Now teenagers breaking in to see if there's beer in the fridge may be a different story.   LOL
So far at the Big Meadows Campground in SNP with all the black bears in the area, we haven't had any problems. 
We are going to Canaan Valley in WV next week and now I have something else to worry about.   Hopefully, those bears are as lazy as Va bears. 
Terri and Craig and Panzer
2009 - 175 RPod
2000 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab Diesel
parbogas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 2:50pm
California (especially the Lake Tahoe area) has numerous bears.  This happened in my home driveway.  My wife just reminded me that we set out to buy a pop-up trailer and I reconsidered based on the vulnerability to bear attacks.  So we bought an RPOD.  Well, it's not the bears fault.  I guess I am on a steeper learning curve than I thought.
parbogas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 12:50pm
We had just returned from a weekend in a National Forest campground.  We live in Truckee, ca.  Had left a few items in the refrigerator and the window on the emergency exit was left open.  This is how he ripped it open.  No scratches.  Sopme messes and 2 black bear hairs.
Sistahs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 11:16am
Good grief!! Where did this take place and was your window open, before the bear entered, that is. Since I will soon be on my way to bear country I have a real interest! Glad you are OK. Things can be replaced, people, not so much.
F150/R-pod171
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 9:26am
I would recommend 3M-brand 'window putty' to seal the replacement window.  The putty can be purchased at any RV store.  I installed a window on my Pod Door.  The putty was extremely easy to apply.  Any excess can be scraped off with a plastic tool such as a spatula, and the rest wiped off using some mineral spirits.  It stays somewhat elastic so it does develop cracks which can eventually leak.
TIDALWAVE
IrishPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 8:11am
Wow...what a story! Sorry about the damage.

I really hope bears in my home state of Virginia are not as smart and clever as the one you've encountered!

(Please don't tell me this incident occurred in VA!!) Cry

"You have to make your own fun in this world"

R-Pod 175 2010
Chevy Suburban
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 10:21pm
Like you mentioned I think it would be a pretty straightforward fix.  Two people to hold and move it around would be nice, but then just the few screws and the silicone like you mentioned.

I guess the FR warranty doesn't cover BEARS!  YIKES

At least it was kind enough to go back out the same way I guess and not decide to rip the door off or tear out another window.

Glad you're safe.  Great story to be able to tell about your Pod though for the future.
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 8:12pm
You're kidding me!  Shocked  How could a bear fit through that window and be smart enough to open the fridge to boot?!!!  That is TOO incredible for anyone to make up . . . so all I can do is echo Caverkim -
O . . .M . . .G !  Star Star Star

Good luck getting the window replaced.  Hope someone here can answer your questions about installing the window.

Glad your Pod isn't torn to pieces, too!

Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>