Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Tow Vehicles - Toyota Goes Turbo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Vehicles - Toyota Goes Turbo
    Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:56am
Originally posted by lostagain

EV's are one possible solution, but the use of hydrogen fuel cell technology may also be a viable alternative.  Using solar, wind, and tidal generated electricity, along with nuclear, may provide a viable energy source to produce hydrogen for fuel cells.  It effectively is one possible way to store energy that cannot be consistently produced, such as solar.  
I'm less optimistic of hydrogen. The biggest issue in my mind is that it takes more fossil fuel to make hydrogen in the first place. I have yet to see a carbon-neutral way to make hydrogen, with the possible exception of using hydrogen as a storage mechanism for solar.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:33am
Originally posted by offgrid

Recharge time is solved as far as I'm concerned. The new generation of 800V cars and DC chargers charge at 250+kw. So a Porsche Taycan for example can charge from 5 to 80 percent in under 25 minutes.

Mitigated maybe, but not solved. I can gas up in 5 minutes. For short haul driving where you don't need to fill up often, it's not a big issue, but when you're driving cross-country and have to make multiple stops for fueling, that extra 20 minutes per fill really adds up. I imagine hydrogen fill-ups would take about the same time as a gasoline fill-up.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:27am
Not sure of the details of issues at Yucca mountain, but in the end there will be environmental impacts from anything we do, and inevitably those will impact some people more than others. Ask the poor people who live next to the refineries in Louisiana. We need to try our best to make sure those impacts are equitable but they will never be zero. There are just too many people demanding too high a lifestyle for that to happen. How many people live near Yucca Mountain?

Re hydrogen, it is a terribly inefficient energy storage technology, far worse than batteries. And the vast majority of hydrogen production is from fossil fuels. Hmmm.

It's simply not competitive with batteries except perhaps as an aviation fuel because it's got a very high energy density. Toyota was touting it for a long time but seems to have backed off recently.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:12am
My point was that materials extraction, processing, and transport causes environmental harm. The two most heavily extracte materials are oil and coal. Of course, because they are consumed immediately, one time use only. If we can reduce those then not only have we reduced CO2 but also the environmental costs of obtaining, processing, and transporting the fuels.

While Li extraction has issues (mostly water use in desert areas), it is a one time environmental impact for a product that will be used for decades. So much less material is needed.

As I said earlier, I agree that the benefit of EVs, while there even when charged on dirty grids, is much better when the grid is cleaned up. We need to do both, and get away from assuming the status quo in energy production when considering EVs That status quo is rapidly changing.

BTW, the same is true the other direction. EVs will be part of the renewable storage solution once we can get past our confused and complex regulatory system and certify bi directional chargers. They are already being implemented in other countries with a more centralized regulatory approach, but you can't buy one here yet. That is the main thing that is keeping me from buying an EV right now. Which ones will bi directional chargers be available for. As for aggregating nd managing those storage resources on the grid, that is already being done Our friend Elon has a whole division of Tesla doing just that with other storage resources (not the cars yet). Others are doing it too.

I agree with you on pursuing Thorium reactors. I'm willing to consider any technology that can be quickly implemented that reduces carbon and breaks the stranglehold on the global economy that big oil and the oil exporting countries has had for a century. But Thorium reactors are a long way from being on line. One reason renewables have been so successful recently is because they are fast to implement. You can go from concept to an operating plant in 6-9 months. Usually the thing that takes the longest is the financing. Sadly with all the roadblocks, nukes take decades to reach completion, if ever. In my opinion, need to stop that, treat this whole energy transition as we did industrial production in WW2 or the Apollo program, and git er done. The Chinese know that very well, that's why they already dominate global production of solar and lithium batteries.

Let's stipulate that towing trailers long distances is not a viable use case for EVs today, but let's also recognize that for the majority of motor vehicle use they are fine, and in many cases better.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 9:42am
Ford seems to be betting on a hybrid also. However, in Ford's case, they are touting the use of it as a generator also. That makes it more attractive since I wouldn't need to carry a separate generator. I don't know if Toyota's offering will also have this feature.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 9:34am
Storage of nuclear waste in the desert?  You may want to ask the people affected by the Yucca Mt., NV, nuclear storage site how they feel about it.  On the other hand, Norway seems to have come up with a viable nuclear storage solution that may make nuclear reactors more practical.  

EV's are one possible solution, but the use of hydrogen fuel cell technology may also be a viable alternative.  Using solar, wind, and tidal generated electricity, along with nuclear, may provide a viable energy source to produce hydrogen for fuel cells.  It effectively is one possible way to store energy that cannot be consistently produced, such as solar.  

Seems to me the Toyota hybrid truck is an expensive transitional approach to solve a long distance towing issue, shooting for the benefits of an EV with the unlimited range of an ICE.  In a few years, however, it'll likely be a white elephant that no one really wants so the resale value may be pretty awful.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 8:18am
I think the comparison between gasoline use (25 tons) and a 600 lb battery is not accurate. The generation of energy and the resources for that must be included in the EV calculation. How many tons of coal/oil/natural gas/etc. are needed to charge that battery?  I don't argue with your point about impact of events like the pipeline leak in SoCal. That is bad.

I would also argue for increased nuclear use. However, instead of more reactors that create ever greater amounts of waste that will take millions of years to become safe, I would rather see reactors that consume more of the fuel and generate much smaller amounts of wastes that will need to be stored. That means that we need to get over the reluctance to build reactors that can burn these wastes.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/11/destroying-nuclear-waste-to-create-clean-energy-it-can-be-done

All that being said, I would not mind an EV for around home use. But for towing and the type of travel we do, an EV is just not feasible until the infrastructure for getting it charged as easily and as fast as filling up a fuel tank is available and affordable.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 7:21am
Recharge time is solved as far as I'm concerned. The new generation of 800V cars and DC chargers charge at 250+kw. So a Porsche Taycan for example can charge from 5 to 80 percent in under 25 minutes.

It is understandable when comparing a new technology to an old one to single out the areas where the new one is less competitive, but in reality it is not the right metric. Look at charging time for example, from the perspective of a typical EV owner. He or she charges at home over 90% of the time (yep, 90 plus, thats the statistic). If you asked him or her to trade that every day convenience to save 15-20 minutes on the occasional road trip what do you think the response would be?

Another example is smartphones. They are after all terrible phones. If you asked someone 20 years ago if he would want to have to hold a big rectangular brick up against his face to talk to someone he'd say forget it, I'll keep my nice little Nokia or Motorola Razor. But perspectives changed and the benefits of the new tech outweigh the negatives, and Nokia and Motorola disappeared

I understand the need for storage integrated with renewables very well. Rght now there are only a few electricity markets where renewable penetration is high enough that that is a constraint (HI, CA) so renewable deployment should focus on the other mmarkets, that gets low cost renewables deployed qas quickly and widely as possible .

There are multiple solutions for grid storage. Pumped hydro has the largest capacity today. If fact any heavy stuff can be moved up and down in elevation to do the same thing, doesn't have to be water. For example trainloads of concrete on a mountain railway grade will work fine. Also, grid storage via batteries don't have to be lithium based, Lithium gives you high energy density so it's great for vehicles but unnecessary in a stationary grid application where weight and volume are not very significant. Many of those alternative battery technologies use very common and benign materials. Lithium is just first to the table because of heavy investment for use in laptops and smartphones.

When you think about environmental damage from extraction operations consider the scales involved. There is a good reason why petroleum extraction, transportation, and refining has so much impact. Consider a typical ICE vehicle. It will require around 25 tons of gasoline over it's lifetime. An equivalent EV will have about a 600 lb battery. So while everything anyone does has an environmental impact the oil sector has the largest because of it's enormous scale. We have an example in Socal just this weekend.

You can't do anything without causing some kind of environmental impact. The fossil fuel lobby knows this well, and uses the environmental movement's desire to do no harm against it. But we have to look at what causes the least damage for the most benefit. That's one reason I favor aggressive deployment of nuclear power. Better to have to build and manage some long term radioactive waste storage facilities in remote deserts somewhere than all our coastal cities flooded.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 4:21pm
"The only dimension where they lag ICEs is range"

And fueling time, at least with respect to battery powered EVs.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 4:03pm
Yep, we can't believe the petroleum industry's propaganda.  But we also have to be skeptical of everyone else's too.  

I sincerely hope that the "green" energy proponents are being more accurate in their claims, but we must keep in mind that each has its own financial interests to protect and that often occurs through not telling us the whole truth; lies by omission.  For example, how much environmental damage is done to Mother Earth [not just carbon emissions] in the mining of lithium?  Quite frankly, I don't know, but am concerned that Mr. Musk is not laying all the cards on the table.  Storage, as Glue Guy pointed out, is an issue for wind and solar generation.  Batteries banks of a hard to imagine magnitude may be required to make a functional power grid using solar and the environmental cost may be much higher than is sustainable.

Bottom line, as my very wise father once told me:  "There is no such thing as a free lunch."
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>