R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrand new Dometic fridge is worthless

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brand new Dometic fridge is worthless
    Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 9:25am
 I expect this will be no help, but the six year old refrigerator mounted in the slide on my 177 kept food cold ear;ier this summer in 105 degree heat while camping in Auburn, California.  It ran on propane and was on the second from coldest setting.  I have no idea why it works for most but not for all.  At the start of camping season each year I have my dealer go over the Pod and he services all the systems.  I have no problems with any of them.  Normally costs me $150.  This year was more because he resealed the top around the air conditioning, removed and resealed one window, and replaced the tires.  
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Casey

Thanks for the philosophy lesson... but that's no help either. Why don't you go back to the begining and read what I wrote, and what my original question was. I explained the problem, and asked if there was any tips, tricks, ideas, or if I just had a dud. My rant on all the problems with the trailer was in response to a few different people telling me it was perfect and I was the problem. I'm not the guy who did nothing but complain about my trailer before I ever even used it, a lot of people are confusing me and him. I'm the guy who bought it, loaded up and headed on vacation, found some areas lacking, then went to a forum specific to the product I bought, and asked if that was normal, if there was anything I could do to improve it, or if I just had bad luck. I guess that was the wrong way to go, sorry for thinking there might be some actually useful information about rpods on an rpod forum...

Well, it's no doubt true this and the other thread have been confused by some, myself included. Twice I had to delete replies because they were in the "wrong" thread.

BUT.. People have tried to help you. But no one here is magic. Once the ideas are exhausted.. and someone is still upset because the forum hasn't fixed their problem.. well.. you see what we get.

I note you and the other guy, both state you are camping at 100F and above.. MOST owners don't do that and have no point of reference, so all they can do is comment on their knowledge. Won't lie to you, I have no idea if our fridge in the Pod would have kept temp at those extremes.. I never camped above about 95F. (and it kept up, but we were in the shade) It's pretty miserable here when it gets that hot, because the humidity is also about 95%.. "miserable to be outside" doesn't even come close. Most of the fixes and advice given have revolved around fixes that worked for them, or that they have read worked for others.

I promise, there is NO ONE here who doesn't want to see you happy with your pod, and all it's systems working correctly for you. But, I suspect, in a way, the issue is you.. or more to the point, the way you use your pod. I can't remember if you had issues at cooler outside temps, or even if you have had the chance to try it at cooler temps yet. It's very possible you are just outside what the Dometic is capable of handling.

I know in the pop-up-world, where small short fridges are the norm, MANY owners battle this problem, at cooler outside temps even, and adding upflow fans to the rear of the fridges seems to help.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 8:16am
Hey eye95, lighten up a little.  I went back and looked at Casey's posts and you are being, quite frankly, a little heavy handed and personal in your criticism of him.  The issue is whether people have had problems with a refrigerator and what can be done about it.  The fact that someone points out that s/he's had problems is not "bellyaching."  Unfortunately, a number of people have found problems with the Dometic fridge working on gas, as has been repeatedly noted in this forum..  It's a fact.  Whether it is 1% of purchasers or 30% of purchasers, who knows.  

He was looking for a little help to fix his problem and vented about having it in the first place.  So what?  And he's absolutely right about the quality standards in the industry.  It isn't very good and it leads to people understandably complaining.  If you can't suggest a solution maybe it'd be better if left it to others to do so.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Casey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 8:16am
Nope not everyone else, mainly you. What have YOU contributed to try and help find a solution??   Nothing. So yes, please do move on!
eye95 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 8:02am
Yep. Everyone else is the problem. Externalizing.

Moved on.
<0>
2017 178 The "eye-Pod"
2011 Nissan Titan
Casey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 7:55am
Originally posted by eye95

So in short, the answer is either the fridge sucks, or its perfect. No in between. I got a whole lot of opinions on a whole lot of different things, but no useful tips or actual ideas on a fix...

"No in between" is what you are hearing, not what folks are saying. Your filters, not ours, are the problem.
You are getting no help because all you do is bellyache. Again, that is on YOU, not on us.
I used to teach my students that, if they externalize the causes for everything that happens, they become permanent victims. If they internalize, they will empower themselves to solve problems.
Stop the constant complaining, explain your difficulties, and ask NICELY for help. You'll get the help. Not from me though. I am turning you off.

Thanks for the philosophy lesson... but that's no help either. Why don't you go back to the begining and read what I wrote, and what my original question was. I explained the problem, and asked if there was any tips, tricks, ideas, or if I just had a dud. My rant on all the problems with the trailer was in response to a few different people telling me it was perfect and I was the problem. I'm not the guy who did nothing but complain about my trailer before I ever even used it, a lot of people are confusing me and him. I'm the guy who bought it, loaded up and headed on vacation, found some areas lacking, then went to a forum specific to the product I bought, and asked if that was normal, if there was anything I could do to improve it, or if I just had bad luck. I guess that was the wrong way to go, sorry for thinking there might be some actually useful information about rpods on an rpod forum...
eye95 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 7:45am

So in short, the answer is either the fridge sucks, or its perfect. No in between. I got a whole lot of opinions on a whole lot of different things, but no useful tips or actual ideas on a fix...

"No in between" is what you are hearing, not what folks are saying. Your filters, not ours, are the problem.

You are getting no help because all you do is bellyache. Again, that is on YOU, not on us.

I used to teach my students that, if they externalize the causes for everything that happens, they become permanent victims. If they internalize, they will empower themselves to solve problems.

Stop the constant complaining, explain your difficulties, and ask NICELY for help. You'll get the help. Not from me though. I am turning you off.
<0>
2017 178 The "eye-Pod"
2011 Nissan Titan
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 7:00am
Fact: I love my Pod and have used it about 5 times now since purchasing it this past March. I am a tinkerer and don't mind tinkering to make things better. In general, I'm not a complainer. These forums expose problems with things, common or uncommon. All forums are like that....especially vehicle specific forums. Doesn't mean that particular product is bad.   But I do think the fridge inadequate cooling is a common issue....just Google "RV fridge cooling mod" and you'll find lots of written info as well as "fan kits" on Ebay to help with this non-cooling situation. Must be more than a few of us with this "non-major" issue. One of the issues is the location of the fridge in slide outs. The heat does not have a direct, vertical passage to the outside as opposed to a non-slide out location. When I purchased my 179, my experienced RV friend asked where the fridge was located....he immediately said "uh oh" and proceeded to inform me of what my problems will be. He was right. My fridge works and cools but it does not cool as I think it should be. With outside 80's temps a few weekends ago, I couldn't get it below the low 40's. Planning to add a fan or 2....both inside and out to improve things.
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
Casey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 11:35pm
So in short, the answer is either the fridge sucks, or its perfect. No in between. I got a whole lot of opinions on a whole lot of different things, but no useful tips or actual ideas on a fix. I called a couple dealers, they both said it's normal and not to bring it in because they won't even look at it, so that's out. Looks like there will be a once used dometic fridge hitting Craigslist soon for those of you that think they're so great!

I'm going to look for a 12v compressor fridge that will fit the width and depth I need, then yank out the dometic fridge, build a slide for the new one, and will end up with an extra cupboard as a bonus. If the manufacturer won't do it right, I'll do it myself.

Overall we like the trailer, it's far from perfect and has absolutely no build quality to it, but no RV does, that's just the standard of the industry. We bought it because it can be pulled with what we want to pull it with, and is big enough to be comfortable in, plain and simple. I really couldn't care less what name is on the side. If I had the time I'd just build my own, again. But I don't so I decided to buy a trailer knowing full well that I would be giving up quality in the process and knowing that, my expectations were fairly low. However I did expect something as major as the sole food storage system to actually function

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 7:14pm
Tinkerers rule!  Camp on!
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>