R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReasonable hitch costs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reasonable hitch costs?
    Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 2:53pm
Figuring that the car dealer where I bought my TV would have the "most correct" hitch for the vehicle, I called them for pricing. They say a hitch, with 7-pin wiring connector, will cost $465 plus another $210 for installion. That sounds outrageously high. What is a reasonable cost for hitch and installation? This is a minivan, if that makes a significant difference.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 4:26pm
I paid about $750 installed for the Equal-i-zer hitch we got when we purchased our 179. I put the wiring and controller in myself, which cost about another $170. I don't know which hitch you are getting. Are they installing the hitch receiver and connections or are you talking about a weight distribution hitch? Your question is a little vague on what exactly is being installed. Does your minivan have a factory tow package?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 4:31pm
 If you owned a VW Touareg, and it you didn't buy it with a factory installed hitch, it would cost over $1100 for the parts, PLUS 2-3 hours labor. That would NOT include installing a brake controller harness either, which is a -bastard- of a job on a Touareg. ( My Touareg came with the factoryinstalled hitch, but I did do the brake controller harness myself, and yes, it was a bastard.)

The price depends on the vehicle and the dealership.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 5:24pm
You didn't mention what type vehicle you have. The more common the vehicle I would think the less the cost. A tow package is not cheap, you have the hitch (proper hitch) and 7 pin connector, a trans cooler and they never come with a brake controller, hopefully you have the wiring to add. I think the dealer will be most expensive on labor, they pride themselves. I have done my own and the labor and capabilities is a cost to do. I know U-Haul used to do tow set ups but I either buy capable or do myself. Just advice, the hitch and connector is part of what you need, not the whole kit, good luck.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Sidewinder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 5:53pm
The TV is a 2016 KIA minivan. 3500 lb tow rating, 350 hitch weight limit. That price is for the KIA hitch, so not likely to be a WDH. I fully understand the brake controller would be a separate cost.

The minivan owner's manual says nothing about a tow package, just that the tow limit is 3500 lbs. Period. Doesn't say anything about transmission cooler, larger radiator, or anything else related to what might be part of a "tow package." I plan to contact KIA to ask if any kind of tow package is needed.

The pod dealer has a local hitch shop do all their hitch installations, so I will check with them next. And I do want to go with a wdh.

TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 6:03pm
The hitch receiver is the same for WDH and non-WDH hitches. The difference is in the hitch bar and everything behind it.

We already had the factory hitch receiver on our Highlander and the Pod dealer installed the brake controller as a condition of sale, which included the wiring (the wiring for the lights was included from the factory).
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 6:10pm
If you order a tacoma, or a frontier with a hitch, its a 650. dollar charge minimum. I paid almost 800 dollars for the whole kit and kaboodle on another vehicle. That was a fastway E2 , reciever, and hitch, 7 pin connector, and brake controller, with everything installed. they arent cheap.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Sidewinder

The TV is a 2016 KIA minivan. 3500 lb tow rating, 350 hitch weight limit. That price is for the KIA hitch, so not likely to be a WDH. I fully understand the brake controller would be a separate cost.

The minivan owner's manual says nothing about a tow package, just that the tow limit is 3500 lbs. Period. Doesn't say anything about transmission cooler, larger radiator, or anything else related to what might be part of a "tow package." I plan to contact KIA to ask if any kind of tow package is needed.

The pod dealer has a local hitch shop do all their hitch installations, so I will check with them next. And I do want to go with a wdh.

Okay, it sounds to me like your Kia did not come with a hitch receiver. I am assuming you are talking about a Kia Sedona. Look on etrailer.com and you will see the price for the hitch receiver (about $140-150). On top of that, you will need the wiring and brake controller. Then on top of that, you will need the weight distribution hitch.

What the Kia dealer is likely pricing for you is the basic hitch receiver and wiring for (probably) a 4-pole wiring harness. While that would be good for a utility trailer, for an R-Pod, you would need to add in the additional wiring for the 7-pole Bargman (round) connector and the brake controller. That is not included in the price your dealer is likely quoting to you. Also, your dealer's hitch receiver does not cover the cost of the weight distribution hitch. You will likely be paying double the price you mentioned by the time all is done. I think you would be best served by checking with your Pod dealer. They may be able to get a package deal going for you that will be more attractive than having the Kia dealer install the hitch receiver and wiring and then still having to purchase the WDH, the brake controller, and the wiring for that.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Bugout View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 7:46pm
Jk Aiken South Carolina 2016 178 Toyota Tundra 2017 4.6
Bugout View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 7:48pm
Agree with stephenH.And buy a new tv
Jk Aiken South Carolina 2016 178 Toyota Tundra 2017 4.6