R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPod Cover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pod Cover
    Posted: 10 May 2011 at 10:50am
I know this have been discussed.
And I have read through the opinions.
Just got out and washed down my Pod , getting ready for camping. While not too bad, but some detailing with a toothbrush helped<<<
I would like to hear the pros and cons of the Cover.
If I have one, will it keep it generally clean enough not to have the black stuff in the groves?
Or does it grow under that cover no matter what. Then you have a cover to clean!
the Pod gets a closed up odor anyhow, but today I have it open with the exhaust fan running. So if one has a cover you can never open up and air out until stowing it for the season.
I am thinking on one, I thank you ahead of time on opinions.
I know the very best way is to have an enclosed place for the Pod, but that is out of the question.

'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 2:02pm
   In south Fla. we used the cover and the mold was more with the cover than with the cover off. And on the roof the cover collected water and created algae. We have the cover folded up in our garage. The cover did keep the RPod clean. Perhaps in a climate where there is less humidity it would be worth having. Also the cover fits the Rpod very well, it would take a hurricane for it to come off.      David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 2:54pm
Mold?  Ewwww.  All I've ever gotten are black streaks from road grime.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 6:42am
 The mold that we had was on the outside just where there was the sealant and caulking. The inside or the fiberglass outside did not have any mold. I was able to clean the caulking but the sealant they used around the back window when it leaked there is still some mold that I haven't been able to remove. I think the only thing to do with the back window would be to remove the sealant and reseal it.      David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 8:18am
I took a dilute mixure of clorox and water and sprayed on those pesky areas of black. And applied a toothbrush. Some left, some stayed.
Inside was fine and had a sunny day to open up and use exhaust fan to get the closed up smell. It is sitting with clorox in holding tank for de-winterizing. Not in a hurry. Think I will do the step with the baking soda also.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 8:23am
Also, I think you are correct about holding the moisture inside a cover, right next to the skin of the
RV. Had experience the cars with covers, so logic tells me would be the same with Pod. Just wanted others experiences to make up my mind. Mine sets under trees too. You live in the South, you put up with mildew
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
marshwatcher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 10:08am
So far the only cleaning issue we have had with the outside of the Pod are those black streaks caused by rain running off the roof. I found that a Mr. Clean Eraser cleaner just takes them right off...no chemicals needed.

As to a cover, my experience with them on horse trailers is that they are more trouble than they are worth. If you must park where trees will drop sap, then it may be worth the trouble but otherwise, I avoid them.
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 11:50am
Originally posted by marshwatcher

So far the only cleaning issue we have had with the outside of the Pod are those black streaks caused by rain running off the roof. I found that a Mr. Clean Eraser cleaner just takes them right off...no chemicals needed.

Thanks Marshwatcher, for the tip about the Mr. Clean Eraser.  I had not thought of that!
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 12:37pm
Our Pod spent the winter in camoflage and ended up very musty inside.  We've been airing it out for the past week- 10 days, even putting the mattress and cushions out in the sun to bake out the smell.  I think that next winter we will keep some tubs of RID or other damp remover inside. Then we will take off the cover and open it up during some of those occasional lovely, dry cold spells we get here in NJ in the winter to keep it fresh inside.  Up in Ontario, Outbound, you don't know the joys of damp, cool winters (or summers near the ocean) that encourage black and green growth on organic surfaces!!! 
Maiden voyage over Memorial Day to MD Eastern Shore- 16 days and counting!!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 2:25pm
All you "covered-up" Podders have just talked me out of buying a cover for sure!
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>